cruise control doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control doesnt work

I just noticed that my cruise control doesnt work. I dont have a manual and i dont know how to check it. Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong. I dont want to take it to shop, they usually find or create something else.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Try your horn. If that doesn't work either you probably have a broken clock spring. Other than that I would say checking all the fuses would probably be a good place to start.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check fuses: Under dash Fuses F5, F13, & F15. Check continuity of cruise deactivator switch and the add-on harness installed per recent recall.

You have an 01 that has a built-in self test. Run it:

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

1. Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.

If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

Note:
There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

— 3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

— 4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

4. Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

5. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.
If you get a flash code, post it.

Steve

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you buy the truck used and did the cruise ever work?

There was a two part recall for the cruise control.

Part One - come in have your cruise control disconnected.

Part Two - come in and get it hooked up when parts are available.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
I looked at some of your other posts and see you recently purchased the truck used.

I suspect this is the first time you tried the cruise?

There were some truck fires due to defective cruise control design.
It affected millions of Fords and there just weren't enough replacement harnesses to go around.

Ford was concerned about fire and requested that all vehicles within the recall (ijncluding yours) come in and have the CC disconnected.

They would then notify the owner when the part was available.

This time lag could run 6 or 8 months.

By then some drivers were used to living without the cruise or for whatever reason said screw it.

I suspect that over the years we'll see this same thread topic over and over again and this reason for failure should be added to our toolbelt of knowledge.
(right next to the fuses)

Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes i just bought this truck. Also I am first time truck owner. I dont know that much about trucks. This forum gives me good informations so i can learn about my truck. I will try that test, and post it here. Also if i call ford dealer can they check if i have recall. How this recall works, i dont know. how do you guys get the info.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I just looked at myford.com and put my vin number, this recall came in :
SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION Recall Code: 05S28 . i will call the dealer and see if they can fix it.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 PM
i had no cruise on my 03 expy when i bought it. replaced the servo and the deactivation switch, but it turned out to be the brakelihgt switch. current was showing "always on" so the cruise wouldn't engage. in your case though, probably the recall.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by 03expyeb
i had no cruise on my 03 expy when i bought it. replaced the servo and the deactivation switch, but it turned out to be the brakelihgt switch. current was showing "always on" so the cruise wouldn't engage....
I had the same cause/effect in another Ford.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jackjackobo
I just looked at myford.com and put my vin number, this recall came in :
SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION Recall Code: 05S28 . i will call the dealer and see if they can fix it.
That recall only replaces the switch on the master cylinder to a fused one so that your truck won't burst into flames!!

It assumes that your CC already works. It's not a recall for a non functioning one....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
That recall only replaces the switch on the master cylinder to a fused one so that your truck won't burst into flames!!

It assumes that your CC already works. It's not a recall for a non functioning one....

Good luck!

Mitch
...but if that switch is bad to begin with, it MAY fix it.

Last edited by 03expyeb; 12-20-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You are correct, and he should have the recall procedure done regardless... I was just saying that it was not specific to a non functioning CC is all...

Mitch

Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The recall doesn't dover the switch, even if defective.

If it was bad before the recall, it will still be bad after the recall.

Steve

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Yeah, I have no idea if a 'half recall' was done on this truck but, this thread has a good title and future members may hit it on 'Search' years from now regarding CC failure or more specifically, CC failure upon buying used. Some members here just disconnected it themselves when the story broke and some may never have given it another thought as they were dumping the truck anyway.

Since I went through the cruise control two-part recall drama, I just wanted to make sure it was part of the conversation.

Last edited by Raoul; 12-20-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I found out about the cruise control recall on owners site. I have a similar question. Can I take my truck to the dealership to find out if I have the recall done? My cruise control works fine, just would like a little piece of mind after seeing the recal. I bought it used earlier this year, before the recall said parts would be available.

Quick Reply: cruise control doesnt work