F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Seafoam (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/263241-seafoam.html)

Narvous 12-04-2006 11:23 AM

Seafoam

If you put seafoam in gas tank do you need to change fuelfitler ?

keith97xlt 12-04-2006 12:21 PM

yea change it right after.

MGDfan 12-04-2006 12:31 PM

Just don't do it.

Hi.

You'll be changing a lot more than just your fool filter if you decide to use this retarded excuse for a cure-in-a-can :lol:

Fr'instance:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=seafoam

Lots of dudes & dudettes use this chit, but then again there's one born every minute, so that accounts for a lot of them :D

" ~Oh, Jbrew..!!~"

Gas goes in your gas tank.
Oil goes in your crankcase.
Air goes in your intake.
Beer goes in your belly.
Nothing else.

Cheers :beers:
Bubba

Narvous 12-04-2006 01:01 PM

Now you have me woried:eek:

MGDfan 12-04-2006 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Narvous
Now you have me woried:eek:

Hi. I'm just getting started :lol: .

Keep searching and you'll find a few more actually factual discussions on why it's generally not a good idea to put this (& other) stuff in your internals.

Best decarb treatment is the walnut shell process used by Ford.

Don't use it, & you'll have less to worry about.

There is no cure-all in a container. That kind of thinking I thought went out of favour when guys stopped running around the countryside selling 'magic elixirs' from the back of their horse-drawn wagons ... but apparently not. :eek:

Cheers
Bubba

tritonpwr 12-04-2006 01:11 PM

Never used it in a car/truck, but it works wonders in 2 stroke boat motors and dirt bikes (especially if you run a castor blend oil). But, for boats and bikes, a can of de-carb works even better.

jbrew 12-04-2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi. I'm just getting started :lol: .

Keep searching and you'll find a few more actually factual discussions on why it's generally not a good idea to put this (& other) stuff in your internals.

Best decarb treatment is the walnut shell process used by Ford.

Don't use it, & you'll have less to worry about.

There is no cure-all in a container. That kind of thinking I thought went out of favour when guys stopped running around the countryside selling 'magic elixirs' from the back of their horse-drawn wagons ... but apparently not. :eek:

Cheers

Bubba

Don't let MeGaDillweed scare yuh - Seafoam's been a great product for allot of people.

Hey bubba you over look something?:devil:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263089

Narvous 12-04-2006 02:21 PM

Thanks jbrew just did not want anything to go bad:thumbsup: to cold to chang filter now

keith97xlt 12-04-2006 02:25 PM

a treatment every 30-40k is all u need. one treatment lasts awhile. the 4.6 does seem to burn clean. so ive only used it on cars with more than 80k. cleaned them right out never a problem.

jbrew 12-04-2006 03:44 PM

If you run it through your tank, do what Keith said - change the filter right after you go thru that tank fuel or ASAP.

scott1981 12-04-2006 03:51 PM

My cousin is a chevy tech and they used to offer a "3 pack" engine cleaner. It consisted of a butterfly/intake cleaning with carb cleaner, a gas additive, and a product very similar to seafoam sucked in the brake booster line. Chevy did not seem to feel this could damage anything as others here have said. I have also been a big fan of sea foam over the years and used it on probably 6-8 vehicles numerous times on each. Never had a single problem caused by the sea foam and many ran much better after the treatment.

Narvous 12-04-2006 08:03 PM

I was hopeing to not haft to mess with fitler in the cold dont know if i can get it off and what kind to get?

Narvous 12-05-2006 12:41 AM

Btt

jbrew 12-05-2006 08:42 AM

I was hopeing to not haft to mess with fitler in the cold dont know if i can get it off and what kind to get?

I don't have the numbers in front of me. Motocraft products are choice, on the fuel filter (not oill filter) you can use Fram as well. Fram fuel filters are okay , but as far as oil filters - Motorcraft or Wix.

PONY_DRIVER 12-05-2006 08:58 AM

Why would you have to change the fuel filter after using seafoam through the gas tank? The tank is polyethelene or some such plastic and I have never heard of carbon buildup in a gas tank. What exactly is seafoam going to dislodge that will clog the filter or do to otherwise render the filter useless?

jbrew 12-05-2006 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
Why would you have to change the fuel filter after using seafoam through the gas tank? The tank is polyethelene or some such plastic and I have never heard of carbon buildup in a gas tank. What exactly is seafoam going to dislodge that will clog the filter or do to otherwise render the filter useless?

Because it clog them up. I Imagine its' a combination of things - Not carbon (that was smart) Foreign matter . I was curiouse too , when I backflushed the filter I got little black deposites and like a scaleing of some sort that resembled a plastic sandwitch bag . Don' believe in it -don't use the stuff ,I don't care.

PONY_DRIVER 12-05-2006 09:52 AM

It was a serious question whether or not you care. I have to get my filter and the front line replaced anyway since some yahoo jacked it up trying to replace the filter a while back. I still want to know WTF is in the tank that 1. scales and 2. is removed by a solvent at nominal temps.

masseyman 12-05-2006 10:40 AM

I agree with PONY_DRIVER

I put a full container of seafoam in my '88 F-150 last summer atleast 4000 miles ago and I haven't plugged the fuel filter yet. The solvent in seafoam can't be that much better than that in fuel injector cleaner, and I have used that in the gas tank of many vehicles X many times, and have never plugged a fuel filter. The only way seafoam would plug the filter is if the vehicle had sat for a long time and the gas in the tank had started to turn to varnish and stuck to the sides of the tank.

beckerjs 12-05-2006 11:01 AM

the only way seafoam would clog the filter is if it actually worked, stop waisting your time and money

masseyman 12-05-2006 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by beckerjs
the only way seafoam would clog the filter is if it actually worked, stop waisting your time and money

I can't speak for seafoam, because that's the first time I used seafoam and that was just a maintainence dose in place of a fuel injector cleaner. Fuel injector cleaner does work, it has solved many weird running problems for me. There are many pour in products that work and work well I might add. To quote my late uncle "I know from experience"

jbrew 12-05-2006 11:18 AM

I think you guys been drinking the stuff lol:lol:

jbrew 12-05-2006 11:26 AM

Actually what it really sounds like is that you guys are skeptical and haven't used it yet . That's most likely the case . I mean common , who's going to support a product that doesn't work . I know I wouldn't . I know it works - changing your filter can't hurt anyway . Spit all you want Seafoam speaks for itself , you guys are just way to jealouse for some stupid reason .

jbrew 12-05-2006 11:45 AM

Another thing - If what yo guys are saying had any truth to it , why in the world would they even need a fuel filter. They put it there for a reason - Gee, I wonder what that could be?

keith97xlt 12-05-2006 01:01 PM

say what u will, thats stuff has gotten me thru some emissins test i thoight id fail for sure.

dirtdobberoffrd 12-05-2006 01:44 PM

I agree with brew:beers: I put seafoam in my tank and changed my filter did take a bunch of crap out of my tank or lines, came from some where and I have also sucked it down my vacume line and yes after letting it sit for about 15 min and starting it back up it idles smooth now if that ante results I dont know what is not saying that it is a permanent fix but it cleans the vacume ports and the sencers besides if it didnt work it didnt hurt.:D

Narvous 12-05-2006 01:45 PM

What i need to know did clog your fitler i did put it in the tank i just dont want to chang it now but i dont want to be on the road and it quit on me it is a 99 F150 5.4 4x4 off road:coffee:

jbrew 12-05-2006 03:29 PM

What i need to know did clog your fitler i did put it in the tank i just dont want to chang it now but i dont want to be on the road and it quit on me it is a 99 F150 5.4 4x4 off road:coffee:

It didn't Clog it on mine , but it did another person on theis site - I new better when I did and changed it - Take your chances - just a 10 minut job.

Narvous 12-05-2006 04:00 PM

For you 10 me 60 and it is cold hear:)

jbrew 12-05-2006 04:26 PM

For you 10 me 60 and it is cold hear:)

I'm in Michigan lol , But yeah , I use a heated pull barn when I need to work on her. Lucky I guess . I've had to bust my knuckles in the cold many times tho. It sucks . Usually your filter when it start to plug up it will give youwarning by running crappy. I haven't had one leave me stranded yet.

2000Lariat 12-05-2006 05:06 PM

I have used Seafoam and it seemed to help some. But, I really think the stuff you guys are backflushing out of your fuel filters is the crap that the filter is supposed to catch, that would be the junk in the gas from the gas stations.

RaWarrior 12-05-2006 05:08 PM

Seafoam really isn't much different from any other "mechanic in a can" fixes out there, and a properly tuned motor should really never need anything like that. My '93 150 with that 300ci motor had regular tune-ups by a fleet mechanic and often sat months without being used. Currently has 92k on it and the motor couldn't run any better. The only possible quirk is sometimes it has a slight hesitation right off idle, but it only occasionally happens and doesn't get in the way of driving.

jbrew 12-05-2006 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Lariat
I have used Seafoam and it seemed to help some. But, I really think the stuff you guys are backflushing out of your fuel filters is the crap that the filter is supposed to catch, that would be the junk in the gas from the gas stations.

I would agree accept I put a new filter on right before I Seafoamed - I didn't plan on Seafoaming when I installed the filter. I seen it in the store after I changed my filter and decided to do it - impulse buy lol.

I pulled the filter to inspect it after some ones else had problems with there filter after the treatment - The black particles are normal - what I didn't like was the filmy like stuff- Like a very thin film - chunks of like plastic - looked pieces of a plastic sandwich bag, where did that come from? I'm think it's some kind of film on the inside of the tank that Seafoam can't fully break down. I had prolly 180,000 on my truck, maybe it's just something that developed over time.

jbrew 12-05-2006 08:10 PM

Heres the filter -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...64071482QQrdZ1

pjb999@yahoo.co 12-06-2006 01:33 PM

I think the best procedure is to replace the fuel filter after Seafoam fuel treatment, when I bought my used '92 in May first thing I did was get an oil and fuel filter change, and I'll get fuel filter done again when I get the oil done soon, I figure I'll have all the crud well and truly flushed by then, and the new filter won't be getting clogged.