Accident caused engine codes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident caused engine codes?

Hi all,

Someone cut me off hardcore just this saturday. He was driving perpindicular to traffic flow across the access road after getting off the freeway. He was tring to make the entrance to a business. I hit him going I would say 5-10 mph. No airbags.

I just got my truck out of the shop for a broken connecting rod / gasket problem (it's a 97) just 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now this.

Any way, codes appeared since the accident and I was wanting some opinions on how the codes can be related to the accident, so I know what to tell the insurance / mechanic or whoever. (It's my first accident, the accident process is new to me)

P2014 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit
-Could this have been broken or maybe just the connector came loose?
-How fragile is this?

P0009 - Engine Position System Performance Bank 2
-I have not found any info on what this means whatsoever.
-Is this just caused by the P2014 code?

One more thing; the most disconcerting thing is that the engine knocks now. It did not do it before the accident, but now under medium load/acceleration it knocks. (edited: the knock does not seem related to RPM that I noticed, only load). Is this also due to the manifold position sensor? It seems plausible. Also the plastic tube that holds the air filter came out of the hole where it meets the body of the truck. My friend said this could cause knocking too, though I don't see that being the case.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Last edited by NATEtheGREAT; 10-30-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I think you're barking up the wrong tree(s).

Go get your codes reread. Neither of the ones you listed are valid for a 97 Ford (they don't exist) or any other Ford, FWIW. My guess is you used a tuner or programmer....

Your friend may be right. That loose hose probably has caused a vacuum leak.

Additionally, there is a vacuum canister located in one of the front fenderwells (passenger side, IIRC) that can be damaged in an accident and cause vacuum leaks.

Do submit it to your/their insurance company. Since the faults appears immediately after the accident, they are likely directly related to the collision.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 10-30-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, we used a Scan Guage II. Those codes are what the instrument read.

P2014
P0009

Whether or not I found the right interpretation for the code is up for debate, but I checked a couple different websites and they concurred.

Tonight, I suppose I'll pop that air filter pipe back in, look for a busted vacuum chamber (it was the front right headlight area that got banged), and look for a loose loose connector?

Are you 100% sure those codes are not valid? Is that to say there is no Intake Manifold Runner Valve?

Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
well the under a load knocking thing is a predetination fuel knock i believe. One of those things where older vechiles put higher grade fuel in to get rid of the knock.

But i agree, since they seem like they are related to the accident, they should be covered under the insurance claim.
-Patrick

Old 10-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NATEtheGREAT
Well, we used a Scan Guage II. Those codes are what the instrument read.

P2014
P0009

Whether or not I found the right interpretation for the code is up for debate, but I checked a couple different websites and they concurred.

Tonight, I suppose I'll pop that air filter pipe back in, look for a busted vacuum chamber (it was the front right headlight area that got banged), and look for a loose loose connector?

Are you 100% sure those codes are not valid? Is that to say there is no Intake Manifold Runner Valve?
I don't think you have a runner valve - no runners in the V8 manifold, unless it's a V6 - V8's no..

I'm 100% sure those codes are not valid - like steve said..

Last edited by jbrew; 10-30-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
codes are non existing!!

i have a code book and these codes you have ... dont exist in the manual.. you need to use. something else... take your truck to autozone or an oreily's let them scan it... get back with us and we'll go from there...

Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I don't think you have a runner valve - no runners in the V8 manifold, unless it's a V6 - V8's no..

I'm 100% sure those codes are not valid - like steve said..

in 97-98 the 4.6 for sure and 5.4 i think has IMRC control servo on the lower plenum.. they do go out.. mine acts up from time to time.. but its fun to have.. lol ask patrick lol

Old 10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Well, I guess I'll drive up to auto zone and get the codes from them.

It is a V6 btw.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Faster150
in 97-98 the 4.6 for sure and 5.4 i think has IMRC control servo on the lower plenum.. they do go out.. mine acts up from time to time.. but its fun to have.. lol ask patrick lol
mmmmm. That was fun until i had to bypass the coolant lines. Kinda stalled the project, and then you giving me a bad TPS didnt help either.
-Patrick

Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The V6 uses two position sensors.
One at the crank and one inside the synchronizer in the traditional distributor location. See the Haynes book page 6-12.
I think the 9 code refers to the senosr in the synchronizer as a position sensor. Could be wrong.
This one is used to time the injectors to crank position and is adjustable to the point that if it is out of range it can cause drivability problems.
The 2014 code is an electrical check of the intake runner control on the driver side of a v6 engine.
Since the PCM programing is altered for use in all Fords engines, some codes will not always be used the same and use different ones without changing the meanings to reflect this. Ie 4,6,8,10 cylinder designs and diesel applications that have different hardware and configuration.
This is what can be confusing.
Researching this takes more than one source of info.
Always use Ford specific code charts.
The accident could have very well moved or damaged the sychronizer position.
As for the runner fault, it could be broken from flying parts due to the accident or some such action or even a coinsidence.
Good luck.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Guys,

Those codes simply DO NOT EXIST for Fords. Period. Consult the PCED...

Attempting to diagnose ANYTHING with invalid codes is simply a waste of time and bandwidth.

Steve

Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Take a look for 2014 again.
Its on page 43 of the Ford OBDII documentation or on the same pages overview discribing IMRC system check operations for each year from 97 up. There are 6 or 12 codes total, used to monitor these functions.
Sometimes code 1516 is used for the same purpose as 2014.
Code 9 is not listed in the document but is on a Ford specific list I have.
My thoughts on code 9 are not set in stone but only surmise it could be used for the purpose stated (position).
How the programmers decide which codes to asign I have no idea except to give the PCM a version, update and Hex id..
I have saw codes at times that I know had no application such as a PTO code for a F150 gas motor does not normally use it but it must be in the program library of all PCMs for use if the programmer needs them, keeping the updating of code list to a min. over time, relitive to scanners etc.
When I have doubt about a code, I clear and see if it comes again, then see where I'm missing something, if it returns.
I suspect that at times certain ignition faults interfere with signal and routine processing and can set wild codes with no real basis.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Well,

I went to autozone, and the scan showed only P0118 - High input on coolant temperature sensor. (ie, bad sensor).

This code was present with the two codes I asked about earlier, but I didn't mention it seeing as how it was present before the accident. In any case the 2014 and 9 codes did not appear again. (do codes stay in memory until you disconnect the battery or do they automatically disappear after a certain amount of time?) In addition, the knocking stopped.

The only thing I did was to reinsert the upstream portion of the air filter assembly back into the port neer the left fender. I wouldn't think just routing the assembly would make that big a difference. The air was still having to pass through the filter.

I just hope whatever I fixed, stays fixed.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by NATEtheGREAT
Well,

I went to autozone, and the scan showed only P0118 - High input on coolant temperature sensor. (ie, bad sensor).

This code was present with the two codes I asked about earlier, but I didn't mention it seeing as how it was present before the accident. In any case the 2014 and 9 codes did not appear again. (do codes stay in memory until you disconnect the battery or do they automatically disappear after a certain amount of time?) In addition, the knocking stopped.

The only thing I did was to reinsert the upstream portion of the air filter assembly back into the port neer the left fender. I wouldn't think just routing the assembly would make that big a difference. The air was still having to pass through the filter.

I just hope whatever I fixed, stays fixed.
once you disconnect the battery cable it resets the cpu.. once done the your cpu is in learning mode .. learning your driving habits.. then if it kicks a code again it will throw a check engine light... then take it back to autozone and let us know what it says.. so we can help you out

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
P2014 was first applicable to the 2003 MY F150.

P0009 does not appear in any on my Ford documentation through MY2006.

Like I said before, the problem was the reader, not the codes.

Steve

Quick Reply: Accident caused engine codes?