'03-'04 Cobra Powertrain Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03-'04 Cobra Powertrain Swap

I am seriously considering swapping in an '03-'04 supercharged 4.6 motor and six speed into my '01 F150. The issues I am predicting are whether or not the wiring harness from the cobra will be plug and play, installing the clutch pedal assembly (my truck is an auto) differences in driveshaft length, fuel pump compatiblity, eliminating the column shifter and a few nore that I cant think of off the top of my head. Anybody out there ever considered doing this swap? Or anone who has done a swap similar to this your input would be appreciated!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Why not just supercharge your truck? Seems like thousands of bucks to go Cobra engine & all, and I dont know if a 6spd would work in a F150 but that would be incredable to see.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by kurtbuschsucks
I am seriously considering swapping in an '03-'04 supercharged 4.6 motor and six speed into my '01 F150. The issues I am predicting are whether or not the wiring harness from the cobra will be plug and play, installing the clutch pedal assembly (my truck is an auto) differences in driveshaft length, fuel pump compatiblity, eliminating the column shifter and a few nore that I cant think of off the top of my head. Anybody out there ever considered doing this swap? Or anone who has done a swap similar to this your input would be appreciated!
It's not even an easy swap in a vehicle that was already equipped with a dohc. There was a guy putting one into a Mark VIII which was aready a DOHC car on either TCCoa or modular depot and he had been working on it for months...... i don't know if he ever got it done or not

Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I really want the 390 horse/390 ft. lbs though!

Old 10-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I've seen it done in a Focus. The guys who did it though, were a tuning company, and even they said it was incredibly difficult. But boy did it lay down some tracks

Old 10-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by kurtbuschsucks
I really want the 390 horse/390 ft. lbs though!
By all means, do your own thing my man. However, if 390hp/390tq is the end all be all of what you want, just supercharge the engine you already have, as ws6_guyscrew already suggested. Getting those numbers should be reasonably done...and alot cheaper than the cobra swap.

Of course, having the cobra engine would give you some bragging rights I suppose.

On a side note, have you driven one of the supercharged cobras? Personally, I have not. However, I read up on them in Motortrend once they got ahold of one to test. The comment that stays etched in my mind was: "This car sure doesn't feel like it has 390hp..." Or something close to that exact comment.

Point being, the writers feel of the car, and the test track numbers sure didn't seem to reflect all that claimed power. I don't know if this was just a dud out of the normal good ones, or if the suspension isn't able to put all that power to the ground. Either way, I ended up not being too impressed with the supercharged mustangs.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Im planning on researching this swap further, if it is going to cost big bucks then I am thinking just putting the blower on my truck would be the best option, of course with a rebuild to avoid blowing out the bottom end.

Quick Reply: '03-'04 Cobra Powertrain Swap