Cr*p Idle, IAC and Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cr*p Idle, IAC and Seafoam?

Hello all. Newb here.

Have Y2K with 4.6L engine. Increasingly frequent lousy / no idle on start and beyond. From reading here is seems likely that I have a bad / sticky IAC valve. I've also read that Seafoam may improve the idle situation.

I'm not sure though that Seafoam could "unstick" my IAC, I just haven't seen that posted here.

So, my question is: Would a seafoam treatment help my IAC or should I just pull the IAC and clean it separately?

Old 09-30-2006, 11:52 AM
You have to pull it to clean or replace it.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:18 PM
yeah pull it and probably just replace it. Then if you still want run the seafoam.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Does seafoam require you to change the fuel filter after you run it? Some say yes, others no. Thinking about running it to try and helf some bogging just off idle.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd say too that ya gotta clean seperate, but keep in mind it may be a yearly deal, so replacing it next year or so may be in the cards. They are usually over 100 bucks too. Never done the Seafoam thing, but have that done, or something similar too.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:29 AM
i have a 2000 5.4 my iac was not working too hot so i took it off and cleaned it with seafoam deep creep..... same stuff just in a spray can. then i usually run a can in my gas every oil change (6000miles with mobile one) i also at the same time do it threw the vac line. i use brake booster one time and pcv the next. just remember to let it suck up very very slowly ... i use a cambel soup can cleaned and fill her up. it takes about 30 min to suck it all out at the pace i go. alot of holding the can but i have just turned 100k and no problems just plugs and fuel filters and other basic maint.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Does seafoam require you to change the fuel filter after you run it? Some say yes, others no. Thinking about running it to try and helf some bogging just off idle.
Short answer, no. But then, I have seen just about every injector treatment on the market used and if you're looking for a pure show, then seafoam is your cookie. It smokes and sputters and what not, but its overall effectiveness hasn't been proven to be as good as real FI cleaning systems. Also, take off the IAC and replace it. Even if you clean it its going to go bad again shortyly.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
4.6's R known for fouling the throttle body, It's most likely more than just your IAC - You could suck up some Seafoam right from the can through you brake booster hose and tap on your IAC for a quick , but temporary fix. Hell, it only takes 15 minutes max to unbolt and clean right , then use WD40 on your IAC to free it up. I suggest keep Your Y2K healthy and just clean the frickin thing lol. This might help -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...190&anum=10943

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

Last edited by jbrew; 10-01-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
4.6's R known for fouling the throttle body, It's most likely more than just your IAC - You could suck up some Seafoam right from the can through you brake booster hose and tap on your IAC for a quick , but temporary fix. Hell, it only takes 15 minutes max to unbolt and clean right , then use WD40 on your IAC to free it up. I suggest keep Your Y2K healthy and just clean the frickin thing lol. This might help -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...190&anum=10943

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php
Tried the seafoam. Put a can in the full gas tank and 1/2 down the brake booster vacuum line. Truck is much, much better but problem not totally solved. I'll pull the IAC off over the weekend and give it a clean.

Is there a gasket on that sucker? I've searched all over (online) for IAC gaskets, seems a lot of users have changed them but where the heck do you get them from?

Old 10-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by fredfillis
Tried the seafoam. Put a can in the full gas tank and 1/2 down the brake booster vacuum line. Truck is much, much better but problem not totally solved. I'll pull the IAC off over the weekend and give it a clean.

Is there a gasket on that sucker? I've searched all over (online) for IAC gaskets, seems a lot of users have changed them but where the heck do you get them from?
That's right, there was a gasket on there at one time, I never used regular gaskets on anything above the lower intake. I believe there's three all together - Lower IM/TB , IAC/TB, EGR/TB.. I emery up mating surfaces and run a small bead of Permatex - Hi temp gasket maker (Ultra Black) . Never had any problems.

Good Luck

Old 10-07-2006, 03:15 PM
gasket easy $2.85 @ local dealer they keep plenty in stock

Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Amerimutt
gasket easy $2.85 @ local dealer they keep plenty in stock

LOL - Okay, you better go grab that gasket at the dealership , Oh, don't forget to get gas and sumo-brewski's k -

Shoot.... I'll have her done- beer in hand watchin the game before he gets back.

Hahaaaa, Ohhh, just kidding (kinda) - U don't need that stinking gasket ( :

States getting upset today me thinks ..

MyBad , NothinPersonal ....Hey! , I don't get to drink that often -

Last edited by jbrew; 10-07-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Cr*p Idle, IAC and Seafoam?