1995 EEC problem -- Diagnosis help request

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 EEC problem -- Diagnosis help request

I have a 1995 6 cyl, manual transmission, 2WD truck with about 155k on it. Great truck, but in the last six months the check engine light would come on intermittently and warm starts were really hard, while cold starts were perfect. Idle was also a little rough at times, especially in between shifts.

So, I had a guy check the computer and O2 sensor -- he said the computer was spitting out codes that didn't make any sense and that I should replace the computer. He put a new O2 sensor in it (although the old one tested fine ) but it didn't help.

So, I took the computer out to get the part number for replacement. I had to use the truck over the weekend to get firewood and drove to the site just fine, but when I tried to start it I had nothing -- no lights, no buzzer, nothing. I just had the computer kind of laying in front of the firewall since I didn't want to wrestle it in just to take it out again once the new one shows up. So, I jiggle the computer and the connector/harness and after a little bit of jiggling, I hear the buzzer in the cab and the dome light is on, but not real steady. I keep jiggling and it gets steady so I try to start the engine and it fires right up. I keep using the truck to make more short trips with fire wood and it's running fine -- so fine that by the end of the day the "check engine" light isn't coming on at all, the engine is running strong and warm starts are no problem!

The question is, do I have a computer problem or a wiring-harness/connector problem?

1. Can the computer have some kind of intermittent electrical problem inside the box?

2. Any one have any clues to help me figure out if the computer is good without using the connector/harness in my truck? Can I plug the computer directly into some tester using the 60 pin connector on the computer?

Thanks for any help, anecdotes, suggestions that any of the gurus here can give me.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
My buddy has a computer tester, but it's a pretty expensive unit, and most shops don't put out the money (I think he said 2K), but you can always call through the phonebook listings.

Also, check all your ground wires everywhere.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 1995 EEC problem -- Diagnosis help request