Oil Filter stuck, so I left the old one on it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter stuck, so I left the old one on it?

I have been running Mobil one Synthetic, and a Mobil one filter for 3K miles now. I'm so used to doing an oil change every 3K myself that today was the day to change the oil once again.

I have no idea why, but my Mobil One filter is stuck on there like no tomorrow! I could not get the damn thing off no matter how much I screamed and hollered at it, so I said screw it, and flushed the oil out, and put new Mobil One oil in and left the Filter on there.

I went one Mobile ones web sight, and they say there filters should last about 15K, so I don't think by leaving my filter on for just 3K and not changing the filter with the new oil I out in would hurt anything would it??

Old 05-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Your filter was stuck? You wiped a film of new oil on the gasket, didn't you?

I can only get about 1/16th of a turn on my filter wrench with in my truck; it takes forever, but it does come off. Wierd.

What are you going to do when you reach 15k on the filter?

Old 05-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Suspended
Flat head screw driver and a hammer hit the screw driver into the filter, turn screw driver conuter clock wise, righty tighty, lefty lously...

Old 05-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by DesertDawg
Your filter was stuck? You wiped a film of new oil on the gasket, didn't you?

I can only get about 1/16th of a turn on my filter wrench with in my truck; it takes forever, but it does come off. Wierd.

What are you going to do when you reach 15k on the filter?

I plan to go only another 3K miles like I always have, that means 6K on this filter then. I'll worry about taking the filter off when that time comes again.

I did wipe some oil on the gasket before I put in on last time and only snuged it tight by hand, so I'm not sure why it's stuck on there like super glue.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
your running synthetic and still changed oil at 3k?? i take mine to 10k and change filters at 10k... i don't think you have anything to worry about with the filter, as long as you didn't crush it trying to take it off? or put alittle hole in it, or something of that nature??? better check the filter out again

Old 05-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Poter
your running synthetic and still changed oil at 3k?? i take mine to 10k and change filters at 10k... i don't think you have anything to worry about with the filter, as long as you didn't crush it trying to take it off? or put alittle hole in it, or something of that nature??? better check the filter out again

The only reason I still change my oil at 3K even with Synthetic oil is when I check my oil after 3K, the oil is black as can be! The oil just looks so dirty, so I like to always try to have freash clean oil in an engine.

Thanks for the information though!

Last edited by mountaineer02v8; 05-14-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:36 PM
3K reguardless of what others do, and you'll always be driving, never be walking or riding.

You can send a screwdriver through it, or just get a good oil filter wrench since you do it yourself. One that will fit best for you is what you need. Even a filter cup so you can use an extension and ratchet.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
That's easy. Just take it to the oil change shop to do this next oil change. Then you try again on your own afterward.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
3K changes with M1 is excessive. I go 10K on M1 or German Castrol with confidence. Either poke a screwdriver through the filter (a little messy) or buy the best wrap around wrench you can find. If all else fails take it to a shop and have it changed, tell the tech not to crank on the filter.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 PM
get a filter wrench. if you poke a screwdriver threw the filter and still cant get it off, then your screwed.

when i put my filter on, i put a little silicone lube on the seal and only snug it by hand. the silicone doesn't dry out and glue the filter in place.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by mountaineer02v8
The only reason I still change my oil at 3K even with Synthetic oil is when I check my oil after 3K, the oil is black as can be! The oil just looks so dirty, so I like the always try to have frash clean oil in an engine.

Thanks for the information though!
Your oil will most always be black after about 500 miles of driving no matter how new or old the vehicle is. When it is black that means that the oil is cleaning.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
well this topic is getting long but ill add my 2 cents anyways, as for changin syn oil at 3k it may seem excessive to some but if its black at 3k that means its cleaning all the gunk and its in the oil already its great that he is changin it when it is dirty, mine lasts about 6k before it gets dirty and thats when i chage it. for those who run black oil and say its doing its job,.. yes its cleaning where does it go after the engine is clean? in the oil! only way to get it out is drain the oil duh. so i would rather be changing oil too soon then have it be a costly 3k for it being too late. so amen to him for changing at 3k if its dirty i would say if i were him i would be too til its clean at 3k, then extend it... if he doesnt oh well its his truck and with a maint schedual like he has he will surely outlast our trucks!

the oil filter, personally i would take it to a place that sells mobile one pay the extra for one oil change and have them do it. its easier to get the filter off when the truck is in the air then on the ground, just make sure it is a quality place not one that uses an air wrench to get the new one! those F'ers!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I won't do is make fun of you for doing what you need to do to take care of your truck...but if you are gonna change your oil every 3k why not just go with regular oil or even a blend and save some $$$$. The number one reason I go with synthetic is because I drive a lot and I need the added protection and longer change intervals.
Synthetic is better because it doesn't break down and leave sludge but changing oil that much I don't know if it is serving that purpose for you changing you oil so much.
Your truck and I applaude you in fact I am jealous I can't afford to change my oil that much so good on you. just seems to me you aren't taking full advantage of one of the great things about synthetic oil.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Ya'll are being really silly about using $10 a quart oil and changing it every 3,000 miles! You're driving a dang ford for crying out loud, it's not a lamborgini, and if it was, dino would still work fine!!!

I just want a simple answer to a simple question. WHY do ya'll use synthetic oil, and, or change the oil so often? WHO told you that it is better?

I'm not trying to rant, it just drives me crazy to see people spending loads of money for something that I feel like is a trick. I hate being tricked, and I'm sure that most of ya'll do too. How many engines do ya'll know die cause their oil wasn't "good quality".

I just want to put out a couple of thoughts: It clearly states in the owner's manual that any oil that meets specs is fine. Now, what makes you think that "exceeding the specs" is gonna make your engine last longer? Also, if 5,000 mile service intervals were "pushing your luck", or "risking damage", don't you think that Ford would recommend less? Also, how many people that you know, or know on this site (neal not included) spin bearings or have other oil related problems?

Last edited by chester8420; 05-14-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Mmmm yea i have a really nice filter tool i bought from WM two years ago. It wraps all they way around the filter, has a rubbery type material inside of it, and the more i torque down on the wrench, the tighter the grip gets on the filter, so im almost always gauranteed to get the filter off.
It was like 10 or so bucks, I personally dont like cup type tools, it takes you 20 bucks to find the exact size one you need, and then still it ends up stripping out the groves on the end of the filter.
Also try turning your wheels all the way to the left (97-03) then you get alot more room to work with around the filter.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Oil Filter stuck, so I left the old one on it?