Need Help!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!

Guys can someone help me? I have done a little research on the limp-home mode light. I am not sure what to do. I have a 2004 f-150 5.4, with 13,500 miles on it. The wrech light came on today. I turned the truck off and back on and the light was gone. I have an Airforce One intake kit on it and was wondering if that may be the problem. This may be a stupid question, but should I take the intake kit off and replace stock before I take the vehicle to the ford dealership? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a malfunction with the electronic throttle control system. More than likely, your truck needs an upgraded throttle position sensor and a PCM update. Whether or not to remove your intake before taking it in for service depends on your dealer. Legally, they can't do nothing to do you without some pretty solid proof that the intake caused whatever failure you're experiencing (which it didn't). But some dealers can be buttheads and come up with stupid excuses about your modifications.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Quintin, thanks for the help. I will go and see what they say. A quick question, Does the electronic throttle control light have to be on in order for a diagnostic machine to pick up the problem?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by rdsevans
Quintin, thanks for the help. I will go and see what they say. A quick question, Does the electronic throttle control light have to be on in order for a diagnostic machine to pick up the problem?
I don't want people jumping all over me for saying this, but, If your problem is caused by the AF1 then you might want to put the stock air filter back on. If they determine that the problem was caused by the AF1 then the solution will not be covered under warranty.

Just a suggestion. Nothing more.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rdsevans
Nope. A continous code will be stored, and won't clear itself until several drive cycles have been completed.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Quintin, thanks for everything. I am glad some people know a few things or two.

Search this Thread