ticking noise in 2000 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ticking noise in 2000 f-150

there is a ticking noise coming from the drivers side it almost sounds like the passenger side when one of the manifold bolts were broke and I cant tell if its a leak or not I dont see any bolts broke...the ticking is faster as you accelerate....maybe exhaust leak, lifter, or injector......any help is greatly appreciated thanks again.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Had the same issue on my '00 Scab 5.4. Lost 2 passenger side exhaust manifold studs. Ticking like a Hamas bomber. The new owner was able to have it repaired for who knows how much.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
My 2000 Expedition did this for about a week, only noticed the tick at startup when the engine was cold. THen, 2 days ago I started to drive away and POW! POP POP POP. A spark plug on the driver side blew right out, opened the hood to see a coil pack jumping up and down with the compression of the cylinder. Came to rear on many threads here that blown plugs are pretty common. I hate this Ford! If your tick goes away after warm-up, look out, the heat is probably tightening your plug and stopping the noise. Then when the threads give way, its over.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 PM
thanks for your suggestions I had the exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts replaced and plugs so whichever it was its gone now

Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rbarbot2
My 2000 Expedition did this for about a week, only noticed the tick at startup when the engine was cold. THen, 2 days ago I started to drive away and POW! POP POP POP. A spark plug on the driver side blew right out, opened the hood to see a coil pack jumping up and down with the compression of the cylinder. Came to rear on many threads here that blown plugs are pretty common. I hate this Ford! If your tick goes away after warm-up, look out, the heat is probably tightening your plug and stopping the noise. Then when the threads give way, its over.

wow, yeah, that sucks!! I read they had problems at the factory torqing the plugs correctly and it's not much 7-14 pounds is all. doesn't seem like enough, I put 10 on mine and wouldn't think that a ticking noise would be comming from a loose plug right off. I will now, thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: ticking noise in 2000 f-150