Does a 2002 4.6L have lifters?

Old 03-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a 2002 4.6L have lifters?

I am pretty mechanically inclined, but am quite unfamiliar with the Ford Product, especially late models. But is the 4.6L Triton a standard V8 with a Lifter pushrod and Rocker Arm setup? And another question, has anyone ever had to change lifters, due to collapsed lifters? Is it a common problem on these motors?

Old 03-31-2006, 07:45 AM
I may not be as mechanicly inclined as you so..... This is my opinion.

The Triton V8s are over head cam so there aren't pushrods. I believe they use roller rockers.

I'm sure someone with more knowlege will give you the information your looking for.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wittom is right. The Tritons are an overhead cam design. The cam lobes push directly on the followers which are rollered and the lifters are replaced with hydraulic lash adjusters. There are very few problems with these components. Check out the picture below. The one on the right is the stock follower. The cam lobe pushes down on the roller in the middle and it then pushes the valve. The lash adjuster takes up the slack. The one on the left is an aftermarket one with a roller tip ans a solid lash adjuster.

http://www.secondstreetspeed.com/art...ct4lrgpage.htm

Regards

JMC

Old 03-31-2006, 10:47 AM
If they have very few problems

Then why are there so many people that hear their lifters tapping, is this a common occurence, and if it is, how long can these motors go with a tapping or collapsed lifter?

Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
JMC

The V6 has lifters as it is a conventional cam in block engine. Some Triton engines had problems with the followers coming off of the lash adjuster. There is a replacement adjuster and a clip the slides over the follower that snaps it in place to keep it form falling off for those engines that have that issue.

JMC

Old 03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
The Replacement Part

The replacement part you are talking about, can they be replaced by just taking off the valve cover, or what all is involved? And if you don't replace the followers, will that affect the engine in any way.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:35 PM
JMC

You pop off the cam cover, compress the valve spring and slide the follower off. Pull the old lash adjuster and replace it with the new design. Slide the clip on the follower and install it in place then snap it onto the lash adjuster. Release the spring and you are done. Is your engine ticking from this?

JMC

Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jmc, i have alway thought you were very knowledgable , espesially on the triton motor

here is the story, i was transfering picture from my digital camara the other night and came across a picture i took. you have to under stand that around last october the news said a major hurricane was heading for Houston, so like the other millions of people in town , i loaded up the family and left town at about 3 am, well at 8am i had made it about 50 miles from my house and was in Katy texas when it all clicked (your knowledge) i took the picture at the rest is self explanatory

Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
You pop off the cam cover, compress the valve spring and slide the follower off. Pull the old lash adjuster and replace it with the new design. Slide the clip on the follower and install it in place then snap it onto the lash adjuster. Release the spring and you are done. Is your engine ticking from this?

JMC
Hey JMC, My 5.4 makes a lifter clicking noise from time to time. It does it most often right after I change the oil. It almost always does it when cruising around town, or in a parking lot. It runs great but it will just start ticking quietly, get louder, then tick at a steady rate relative to engine speed. It usually quits if I rev up the motor over 3500 rpm or so. It sounds IDENTICAL to a lifter. Like dropping ball bearings into a bag of ball bearings. Do you think it is the lash adjusters sticking?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Jmc

What you are describing sounds like it could be the problem, and yes I believe that my engine is "ticking" because of this. The tick is coming from inside the valve cover and I was just wondering if the problem with the followers have an affect on engine performance and/or longevity.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:28 PM
JMC

Brotherdave,

Shhhhh, don't tell anybody, that is my evil twin!

chester8422,

It could verywell be a lifter. The only way to know for sure is to have a look at them.

Screwed2002,

If the lifter fails and colllapses it could let the follower come off the valve.

JMC

Old 04-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Screwed2002
What you are describing sounds like it could be the problem, and yes I believe that my engine is "ticking" because of this. The tick is coming from inside the valve cover and I was just wondering if the problem with the followers have an affect on engine performance and/or longevity.
Did you check with an auto stethescope? These engines also often have noisy fuel injectors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does a 2002 4.6L have lifters?