1986 F350 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 F350 460

Howdy, first post on here... I don't know much about my truck, I bought it to tow around a few things. I have noticed a problem with it recently.

When its cold (startup to about 10-15 minutes into driving it) if you hit the accelerator hard, the engine hesitates and/or stalls out... if I gently push it down, it works fine... but as soon as I try and accelerate quickly, it will lunge/hesitate, and/or stall out.... after about 15 minutes of driving, it works fine....

Any thoughts?

I also have a high pitched whining sound that increases in volume and pitch when I push the accelerator... is there a common problem with these things? Could it be a bearing? Someone suggested an alternator bearing? Could that be it?

thanks

Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

I'd start with new plugs, wires, cap, rotar, and fuel filter. Pretty easy to do and prolly haven't been done in forever.

any pics?

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Howdy and welcome!

I'd start with new plugs, wires, cap, rotar, and fuel filter. Pretty easy to do and prolly haven't been done in forever.

any pics?

Adrianspeeder
plugs, wires, rotar have been checked... we replaced the cap and fuel filter about 2 weeks ago... that solved another issue we had... but now its those I spoke of above... the whining noises and the lugging/stalling on rapid acceleration...

Thanks for reply!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
any pics?

Adrianspeeder
This is the best (and only) pic I have of the truck... if thats what you meant... Hauling my other toy!

The truck is a beauty, crew cab, 460, dually, full bed, new paint, captain (full swivel) chairs, 95k miles, very nice shape... its an old truck though, so I am getting a few minor things here and there.. nothing major yet though... Hopefully the above items will be small and easy to fix

Old 03-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok, replaced the alternator... and also replaced the Carb gasket and put on a new accelerator pump... no avail... still high pitched whining and stall/hesitation on quick acceleration when cold

Anyone else have any idea?

Upon further inspection, the whining sounds like it might be coming from the Tranny... what would cause that?

Also, could the stalling just be the choke?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the "whining" you describe might just be the fan doing its job...
seeing as its carburated..
check around for broken and or missing vacuumn lines..
its old enough

good luck

...zap!

Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Carburated 460. Bet it likes gas, huh? Anyway, I'd replace the accelerator pump diaphram. Inexpensive, but just might solve the lugging issue. If the motor is not getting a big shot of fuel when you mash the loud pedal, it will stumble and hesitate.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you just have a 'cold blooded' beast... If a carb rebuild didn't solve the issue, then it's just that when it's cold, you are forcing too much fuel and it's not atomizing enough. Once it hot, it's able to atomize better and you get the response...

I've owned lots of carborated Fords and they all seemed to be 'cold blooded'.... Once up to temp, they were fine.. Cold, and it was an easy touch on the gas to keep 'em going.....

The 'whine' could be one of the fan belts? I think that model has multiple belts, right?? If it is a serpentine belt, then it could still be that too.

Nice old rig! I bet that 460 likes it's gas tho! My Dad has an old '71 F250 with the 390 in it and it gets 9 mpg running empty or towing... Pretty weird, but that's what it gets!

Mitch

Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Wow, sharp truck! Exactly what I wanted to see. As you can tell I love the older iron!

What tranny is it? C6 auto or T18 four speed manual?

Old 03-28-2006, 02:16 PM
thanks for replys... we checked for vacuum hoses lose, and found one... replaced it... and the whine sounds really loud from the transmission.. we thought it was the belts or the alternator... but it wasn't... that thing has a LOT of belts... ..

as for "cold blooded" I think thats just what it is... we replaced the accelerator pump... but didn't really "rebuild" the carb... other than that pump and the main gasket... we might try and adjust the choke a bit... seeing as how it didn't stall in the hotter weather, but does now that its cold (of course its getting hotter again)... but we still cant pinpoint the whining sound... but its LOUD... we really thought the stall/hesitation was the accelerator pump... but it wasn't... so all that work yesterday was for nothing... other than replacing some really old original parts.. (which cant hurt)...

The truck is SUPER clean... very nice on inside... fully swinging captains chairs, a/c, heater, radio still works.... big ol' beast... gets about 9-10 MPG whether i'm hauling a small community of houses or nothing at all!!

I will try and dig more photos up of it on the inside... super clean in and out... which is why we bought it in the first place... it was overkill for what we needed it for (hauling my quad and other various dump and moving trips) but it was so clean in and out we couldn't resist.

any other suggestions on the problems above would be greatly appreciated...

thanks!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
found some more pics!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Wow, sharp truck! Exactly what I wanted to see. As you can tell I love the older iron!

What tranny is it? C6 auto or T18 four speed manual?
Its a 3 speed auto... wierd... so I don't take it above 55!! makes too much noise and sounds like its gonna explode!!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I'd be willing to bet the whine is from the power steering pump, Fords from that era are famous for it. Check it by turning the wheel while stopped. if the noise increases its the pump. As for the lag when cold, my thoughts would be that the choke is still engaged or the choke is not working properly. that type of lag is all to common on non fuel injected motors. Nice rig. I bet it pulls like crazy!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by sandmanusd
Its a 3 speed auto... wierd... so I don't take it above 55!! makes too much noise and sounds like its gonna explode!!
Wow! Super sharp. The 80-86 is my favorite body style for sure. If that was a T18 manual, I would prolly made you an offer by now. Put a tach on that beast and then just let er be the screamin demon she was ment to be!

My sharp 84 since you'd be a guy to appreciate it...

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 1986 F350 460