fuel pump cutoff relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Okay, let me try and set it up for you. First, remember that the yellow wire always has battery voltage because it goes to the starter relay post that connects to the battery pos post. When you turn the key on, the ECM energizes the fuel pump relay through the red and the tan/green wires. It then closes the relay, connecting battery power (the yellow wire) to the inertia switch. If the inertia switch is closed (meaning it hasn't been tripped in an accident), power then continues on to the fuel pump. get it?
Yes, I get it but there is only ONE relay. You stated earlier that there were TWO relays. A fuel cutoff relay and a fuel pump relay. You have not shown me where both of these relays exist in a single unique diagram that you posted. Does either of these diagrams relate to your truck?

Old 03-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Does this help?

Old 03-25-2006, 11:41 PM
No, no, no, no. HE said there are two relays. I said there is only one in each year, just with different names.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:45 PM
I want him to look at the two relays he said are there for the fuel pump, and tell us what color the wires are going to them. That way we can tell him which of the two is really the fuel pump relay, and then by checking the schematics, try and identify what the other relay (that he thinks is for the fuel pump) really is.

*edit*

And no, neither of these are for a '95. Like I said, the first image is from the '86 schematic, and the second image is from the '87 schematic.

Last edited by PKRWUD; 03-25-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 PM

I want him to look at the two relays he said are there for the fuel pump, and tell us what color the wires are going to them. That way we can tell him which of the two is really the fuel pump relay, and then by checking the schematics, try and identify what the other relay (that he thinks is for the fuel pump) really is.
LOL, this is so funny. I did not even notice I was looking at threads posted by two different people. I thought I was replying to racer all this time. Now I see he said three different relays and the inertial switch is not really a relay, its a switch. Im thinking he has TWO fuel pump relays and TWO fuel pumps which are energized by ONE fuel cutoff relay. (He might really have THREE relays). A cutoff relay that goes to an inertia switch that energizes the TWO fuel pump relays

OR

a cutoff relay that goes to an inertia switch to goes to ONE bigger size relay that can handle TWO fuel pumps.

OR

a cutoff relay that goes to an inertia switch that goes to a fuel pump with another wire from the inertia switch that energizes another relay to drive the extra fuel pump. (which is ONE inertia switch and TWO relays).

Last edited by temp1; 03-25-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by temp1
LOL, this is so funny. I did not even notice I was looking at threads posted by two different people. I thought I was replying to racer all this time. Now I see he said three different relays and the inertial switch is not really a relay, its a switch. Im thinking he has TWO fuel pump relays and TWO fuel pumps which are energized by ONE fuel cutoff relay. (He might really have THREE relays). A cutoff relay that goes to an inertia switch that energizes the TWO fuel pump relays.

He doesn't. I'm telling you, bro, the systems are virtually identical. The only real difference is the color of one wire and the official name of the relay. In 1986, there was no item called a "fuel pump relay" installed anywhere in the truck, only a "fuel pump cutoff relay". In 1987, they changed the name to "fuel pump relay", and have called it that ever since.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 AM

He doesn't. I'm telling you, bro, the systems are virtually identical. The only real difference is the color of one wire and the official name of the relay. In 1986, there was no item called a "fuel pump relay" installed anywhere in the truck, only a "fuel pump cutoff relay". In 1987, they changed the name to "fuel pump relay", and have called it that ever since.
Well, this thread has turned into a relay of sorts. Im passing the baton back to you. Now he has FOUR relays to contend with.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Alright guys, I got the colors of the wires.

The relay that is mounted under the dash on the side of the EEC first.....

it has four wires they are: white/blue strip
yellow
black
lt blue (fuse link)

the relay that I found under the hood has four wires they are:

tan/black
tan/green
red
yellow

I have a diagram of my system but I can't get it to paste so you can see it.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racer88
Alright guys, I got the colors of the wires.

The relay that is mounted under the dash on the side of the EEC first.....

it has four wires they are: white/blue strip
yellow
black
lt blue (fuse link)
That is your EEC Power Relay.

the relay that I found under the hood has four wires they are:

tan/black
tan/green
red
yellow
That is your fuel pump relay (or in 1986 speak, your "fuel pump cutoff relay").

Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Then I replaced the wrong one. I put the fuel pump relay that I bought where the EEC power relay is. Why are they the same type of plug?

Last edited by racer88; 03-26-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
That link didn't work for me, but it's okay, I have the schematic. It looks like we both posted around the same time, did you see my last post above?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, I got it. The problem I have now is that I put the fuel pump relay in place of the EEC power relay. and tossed out the old power relay. What kind of problems will that give me?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 AM

Then I replaced the wrong one. I put the fuel pump relay that I bought where the EEC power relay is. Why are they the same type of plug?
So why not put the old EEC power relay back in and put the fuel pump relay where it belongs.

NEVER MIND.

The relays are all 12 volts and if they handle aproximately the same current on the contacts then its not really a big deal provided that the terminal positions for the coil and contacts are identical. Go get a new EEC power relay and put the fuel pump relay where it belongs.
You should be good to go then.

Last edited by temp1; 03-26-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Correct. In fact, you will probably find the that the two relays have the exact same manufacturers part number (the Ford part numbers will be different, though, but don't let that throw you).

Old 03-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I just called 3 parts stores and no one is showing an eec power relay in there computers. I even went to NAPA online and looked it up there and nothing there either. I am wondering if the relay comes with the eec when you buy a new eec......

Quick Reply: fuel pump cutoff relay