Alternator Madness

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Madness

I hope this never happens to anypne else but if yuo round the long bolt on your alt the fix is not an easy one After trying bolt extractors heavy vicegrips and pipe wrenches I realised the only way to tacckle this job was to remove alt with bracket attached WHAT a bitch bolts are concealed next to alt and next to air pump wich must be removed I wasnt sure how many bolts were involvedafter 4 bolts and 1 stud I went to the dealer and got a schematic Now with bracket wich still has alt attached I placed it on the bench thinking no problem now wrong After considerable amount of heat on alt and bolt I used a pipe wrench and a breaker bar to finally break it loose it would not go easy and after reheating and more tuns it was free Still not the end of story bolt was 3rd of the way out and would come any further since it wasnt threaded to anything I figured a hammer and a punch would do wrong Afraid the cast aluminum bracket would break first I then tried used an air chisel wich finally got the bolt out It would be nice if Ford would use anti sieze on these applications Mike

Old 02-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE. yeah man, im going throught the same thing. My Alt siezed, and that bottom long *** bolt is in there somethin fierce. im pulling so hard on my breaker bar my arms are shaking. im nto a small guy either, if i was a toothpick, i could see it, but damn. AntiSieze is Ford's friend.

Quick Reply: Alternator Madness