Oil dip tube problems 2001 f150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil dip tube problems 2001 f150 4.6

Well I have to replace my oil tube due to the tube rusting out. I tried a couple of ideas from someof the post I read earlier but I still managed to break if clean at the block. I bought an easy out but I am still not having much luck. I thought pulling the oil pan would be a good idea so I dropped the pan only to find out there is not enough room to remove it. So here my problem..

1) If I remove the crossmember will this give e enogh room to get the pan out of there?

2) If I dont remove the pan and just reinstall it can I use the same gasket? I read a couple of threads that stated it could be re-used

3) How should I go about removing the section of the oil tube still inside the block?

I wanted to start on removing the exhaust manifold due to the egr tube being rusted apart. I didn't tackle this but found that the egr tube can and was replaced with very little problems.

1) how hard is it to remove the studs on the manifold and what are the chances f breaking them off?

I had a quote to do both manifolds and replace the spark plugs for 1900 Parts are only 200 so this is like 1700 in labor wtf....

Any help is appreciated....

Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 AM
I did the same thing on my 98 5.4, when I put my headers on. I was able to get the pan off by removing the crossmember, once i got it off I just took a hammer and a long extension and tapped it out. Mine had a re-useable seal on the pan so yours probaly does too. If your EGR tube is easily removable(mine wasn't I twisted/broke it) then the manifolds are fairly easy if you're somewhat mechanicaly inclined, I removed the inner fender lineing for more room. I didnt break any studs off and they were on there for 100k, and most of them came off when I tried to removed the rusty nuts, so hopefully you get lucky like that. I can't help ya with the plugs yet, as I haven't tackled that one yet but maybe this weekend I'll get to it. I hope I gave you some help, if not I'm sure someone else here who has more experience will/add to it.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
partly fixed

Well, I dropped the crossmember and tried to remove the oil pan but I can't see how the oil pan is coming out. So I went back to the easy out methd and finally did get the rest of the tube out So that problem has been taken care of. I then tried to get the new tube back on and am struggling to get it pushed all the way so I decided to remove the exhaust manifold. The studs came out with no problems. It looks like I am going to start putting the everything back together tomorrow. One question though:

Is the oil pan gasket reuseable?

When finished I'll have new egr tube, new manifold and new plugs. Hopefully the plugs will come out as easy as the studs.....

Should I spray the plugs prior to removing?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I was going to post earlier, but you didn't fill your info in, - so I didn't know if you had a 4x4 or not. Makes a big difference in what to say.

So fill your info in and make a sig. That way we know what your working on.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM
yep 4x4

Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you click user CP there is a place you can add your information. Fill it out so your truck info comes up on every post like mine does on the upper right of this post.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 PM
been down this road twice and had success both times.

Take a coarse bolt i think 3/8, almost like a self tapper. thread it into the broken tube at the block. from underneath take a long pry bar and hit the head of the bolt up and it should pull out the piece of tube. Squirt some oil around the area to help things along, and maybe some heat.

Quick Reply: Oil dip tube problems 2001 f150 4.6