Engine dies when I put it in gear

Old 11-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine dies when I put it in gear

When I put my truck in gear, reverse or drive, it dies. It is then difficult to re-crank. I have to hold the gas to the floor and let it turn for a while until it finally fires up. Any thoughts?

As background I have had a problem with the transmission not wanting to shift while in drive. I replaced the vaccuum modulator and this helped but it still was not right. So today, thinking I had a vacuum leak, I cut off the end of the vaccuum line going into the modulator and then reattached the line. The end I cut off looked cracked. That is when this latest problem started. I can pull the vaccuum line off completely and it will still crank but dies when I put it in gear. I also tried adjusting the screw on the modulator but that does not help either. when I run the screw in pretty far, like it was when it came from the parts store, it will not crank at all.

Other sypmtoms include the defroster works but it will not change to the panel or the floor. It blows out the defrost no matter what position the switch is in.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM
The vacuum modulator shouldn't have any effect on whether or not the engine cranks, as far as I know. The stalling in gear issue sounds like the tranny filter has become dislodged.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I broke down and took the truck to a mechanic. They replaced the throttle position sensor, which they said was bad and replaced about four vacuum lines. They tell me it is running good now and shifting fine. Hopefully this has solved it as they are only charging a little under $200.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Same Problem

I have the same problem except my 1995 F-150 (390,600 m) is a manual transmission, 4.6L engine. Will changing the throttle position sensor help my condition and keep it from cutting off? No mechanic has been able to correct the problem along with bucking at about 55-70 mph.

Treedpossum

Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by TreedPossum
I have the same problem except my 1995 F-150 (390,600 m) is a manual transmission, 4.6L engine. Will changing the throttle position sensor help my condition and keep it from cutting off? No mechanic has been able to correct the problem along with bucking at about 55-70 mph.

Treedpossum
I do not know if it would help you or not. They found mine because the code came back that it was bad. Does a manual pull any vaccuum?

Old 11-25-2005, 01:15 PM
They didn't put a 4.6 in the 95's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine dies when I put it in gear