4.6L Valve Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L Valve Noise

Hi
Just yesterday I noticed that there is a tapping noise from the passenger side valve train. I don't hear it at idle or under light load. Once I get on the road accelerating, I can hear it from the drivers seat. cold or hot it is always there. I can here it momentarily if my wife revs the engine in park while I stand near the passenger side.

Power is fine. runs smooth.

4.6L Romeo engine 1998 76K miles.
Oil level is fine. Oil pressure is normal.

The truck is only used about 5K miles a year. I tow a 4000lb horse trailer 40 miles a week and thats about it.

Did a hydaulic adjuster seize up from sitting too much?

Can I pull the valve cover and look to see if anything is wrong? or is a stethascope the best diagnostic tool.

DAve

Old 10-03-2005, 07:31 AM
It could be lifters or something but it's more likely fuel injectors. It's pretty common to get noise out of some of the injectors. My '98 had two noisey injectors. Both on the passenger side. I put a good amount of miles on with that noise and never had an issue.

You are correct. A stethoscope is the best place to start.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
lifters or injectors.. put ur finger on the injectors one at a time till u find the one thats causing the ticking noise... u can replace it or just live with it... if u dont feel/hear it coming from the injectors then its likely the lifters.

Quick Reply: 4.6L Valve Noise