need lenght of a dipstick

Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need lenght of a dipstick

need lenght of a dipstick on a 97 f150 4.6L 4X4 need measures from bottom of hadnle down fulll lenght and also from bottom of handle to full mark any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
measurement

Hey heat I would love to answer you, but my dilemma comes short of yours if youve read my post you would know I come short a little! but I can tell ya the length minus (guessing) 27" if that works? But if you have the old one could you please tell me what the material at the tip is , the compresed on part with the level stamped on it is I would greatly appreciate it

Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
not sure cause i dont have the original. i just bought the truck a few monts ago. the truck had another motor and trans put in out of a wrecked vehicle w/ lower miles but im not sure if they used the right dipstick. everytime i check the oil level its never touching the stick and it takes over 2 quarts everytime. but no leaks its not in the water either and doesnt smoke during or after startup i have no idea where its goin

Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
The dealer sells new dipsticks but it is a new design that forces you to install a new pipe as well ( down to a science)stick goes for about $15 the pipe $30 check out your local junk yard first, if ya havent allready. Good luck

Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Mine's about 9 inches. According to who you ask.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Ha thats a funny man! But hey heat I'm not paying attention since my dipstick tip fell off, My wife is just as disapointed! But The measurement I gave you was for a 4.2 my bad I'll leave myself back a grade

Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tbizzle
Mine's about 9 inches. According to who you ask.
Did you mean mm?

Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by heatin97f150
not sure cause i dont have the original. i just bought the truck a few monts ago. the truck had another motor and trans put in out of a wrecked vehicle w/ lower miles but im not sure if they used the right dipstick. everytime i check the oil level its never touching the stick and it takes over 2 quarts everytime. but no leaks its not in the water either and doesnt smoke during or after startup i have no idea where its goin
Pick up a universal dipstick at your local auto parts store. Change the oil and filter, but only add 5 quarts of oil. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for a couple hours. Insert the dipstick, and where ever the oil comes to, stamp a mark into the dipstick. That is your new 1 quart down mark. Add a quart, and in an hour or so, check the dipstick again. Stamp another mark at the new oil level. That will be your new full mark.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Pick up a universal dipstick at your local auto parts store. Change the oil and filter, but only add 5 quarts of oil. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for a couple hours. Insert the dipstick, and where ever the oil comes to, stamp a mark into the dipstick. That is your new 1 quart down mark. Add a quart, and in an hour or so, check the dipstick again. Stamp another mark at the new oil level. That will be your new full mark.
Now that's an elegant solution - and I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as a universal dipstick (unless you mean universal dipstick such as <insert name of least favourite politician here> )

Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Some stores have universal regular dipsticks, others have universal chrome ones. It really doesn't matter, any dipstick long enough will do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need lenght of a dipstick