Worn-Out Plugs at 60K

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn-Out Plugs at 60K

My baby developed a dead cylinder last Saturday, and I thought a good place to start would be the coils and plugs. I thought to myself "self, the truck only has 60K miles on it and the plugs should easily go 100K, but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them all anyway." I proceeded to go about taking the old plugs out, to find that they were all extremely worn. The electrodes had started to deteriorate and the gap was much too wide. The passenger side rear coil ended up being the culprit(one of the hardest to get to), but I am still shocked at how worn these plugs are. My thinking is that the widened gap put extra strain on the coils, and they just couldn't handle it. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the plugs in their truck to be shot at under 100k miles? Whaddya think?
Brian

Old 07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it varies. Some go further some not as far. Not sure why. Just make sure yuo torque them down properly so they dont fly out!

Old 07-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, 100k is just an ideal number, and for the most part the plugs do make it that far. But there are always those that dont make it.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
jcc
i never let them go that far i change them every 2 yrs if they need it or not ,after a while your gap will be off so if you take them out to adjust the gap you just should go ahead and change them

Quick Reply: Worn-Out Plugs at 60K