Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light

I own a 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4 engine and the check engine light stays on. The truck is not overheating, no oil is leaking. Someone told me that I may need to replace my erg valve and I'm not sure what that part is and where I would need to take it to get it repair. Also, how expensive it would be to have that repaired. I really could use some advice.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:23 PM
jcc
You Need To Go See A Aouto Parts Store And They Can Put A Scanner On It To See What Code It Is First

Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chokolate
I own a 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4 engine and the check engine light stays on. The truck is not overheating, no oil is leaking. Someone told me that I may need to replace my erg valve and I'm not sure what that part is and where I would need to take it to get it repair. Also, how expensive it would be to have that repaired. I really could use some advice.

Replacing a part without even knowing why the CEL is on will be an exercise in futility.

Scan the computer, do a SEARCH on the retrieved codes, and if you need further help after researching the code(s), just ask.

FWIW, EGR valves don't go bad very often.

Steve

Old 06-22-2005, 05:42 PM
My truck's EGR is 111K miles old. I don't know if it is going to fail as soon as I finish posting this but, not scanning the computer for trouble codes is worst than playing the Lotto. Scan it and you will be surprise on the reading(s).

As projectSHO89 said, come back if you need help.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Cel

Originally Posted by chokolate
Don't change anything without reading the codes.
Remember that Many auto parts stores does not change electrical parts, and you will loose your money.

First of all, Did you notice a failure? intermittent failure? Any problem?
If not, I recomend you to reset the computer and check if the CEL goes on again. For reseting the computer, just disconnect the battery for five minutes and connect it again. Your CEL shoud go off. Now continue using the truck and verify if it turns on again.

Post your results. Good Luck

...Ben

Old 06-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I think it is a very good idea to have a scanner handy. Nowadays they are not too pricey and there are shops that could charge you around $50.00 just for the reading. Close to 3 or 4 readings and it's paid for. I got one as soon as I purchase the truck and I have used it like 5 or 6 times. All repairs by myself.

Try to get the code before erasing.

Last edited by JMTruck; 06-24-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light