A gift from Ford, If you have a rough idle read this, its long.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:48 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy A gift from Ford, If you have a rough idle read this, its long.

Let me start from the beginning. My truck has never had the smoothest idle. It was not bad but not exactly smooth. Last year I installed a Powerdyne supercharger. I noticed right away that I was building pressure in the radiator. I sprung a leak everywhere I could possible have one. I replaced hoses and then eventually sprung a leak in the radiator itself and replaced it. Then I started to notice some white smoke in the morning. I also noticed I was still loosing coolant but there was no leak.
This weekend I towed my 5th wheel about 2 1/2 hours to a place called Eagles Peak, PA. After the tow I got a real bad start with gobs of white smoke out the back. This happened twice so I loosened the cap on the overflow to the radiator and it stopped. I figured out I was spilling coolant into the intake past the intake gasket. I have never heard of this happening but it is the only thing that made since. If it was the head gasket then there would have been many other symptoms. I'm real lucky I didn't hydro lock the engine.
Today I changed the intake gasket (8 hours with removing the blower, water to air intercooler and the entire intake) and found a gift from Ford. The intake gasket was crimped at the front passengers side coolant passage. The crimp involved the coolant passage and the intake seal. This could only have been done during install of the intake thus during assembly. It is a wonder that it lasted this long with no other symptoms.
I replaced the intake gasket (what a PIA), torque the new gasket in place after cleaning up all the parts and put everything back together.
8 hours later I have the smoothest idle ever for this engine.
There was some pitting in the intake where it was leaking past the gasket so I used a little high temp silicone to make sure it sealed. Only time will tell. I stayed out of the boost today to let everything cure and set up but so far no leak.
Wish me luck.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
What a hop in the @ss!!!!! You did'nt mention the mileage on your truck but I have a roundabout idea what it is. This only makes me laugh to myself a little more because of the fact that you would find something like this after so many years and miles have rolled past.

Well it's done right now and you might have even picked up a little more boost now that your intake is all sealed up properly.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WLF
I noticed right away that I was building pressure in the radiator. I sprung a leak everywhere I could possible have one. I replaced hoses and then eventually sprung a leak in the radiator itself and replaced it. Then I started to notice some white smoke in the morning. I also noticed I was still loosing coolant but there was no leak.
Those are the tell-tale signs right there. Excessive pressure in the cooling system can certainly come from a blower blowing air into it. Then when you shut her down, the pressure from the cooling system (10-12 psi) was causing coolant to flow the other way from the leak into the intake, hence the white smoke at startup.

How long did it run like that after the blower install?

-Joe

Old 06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
WLF
I noticed the pressure build up right away, I think the blower was installed last August.
It didn’t start getting into the intake until just recently when I put in the new radiator, about 5 weeks or so. Not much, until this weekend, then the leak became serious.
I bet the passenger side front cylinder is squeaky clean right now, nothing like steam to clean off some carbon.

Quick Reply: A gift from Ford, If you have a rough idle read this, its long.