oil question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil question

See my signature for vehicle specs. I am looking to maybe start running Mobil 1 full sythetic. It is a 15000 mile oil, right? What weight of oil should I run, and also which filter is rated to last 15000 miles along with the oil? Or should I run the Motorcraft 5w20 with a motorcraft filter and change it more often? How many miles? Or just dino 10w30, etc? Opinions???
Thanks,
Kurt

Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Old 03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
While I don't doubt that synthetic oil can last that long, I question if a filter will. Once a filter fills-up, you are effectively running without one.

I'd stick with the factory weight, if more than one is given then go with the thinnest one (lower viscosity number).

I run Mobil 1, change it every 4K miles. Which is likely overkill...

I like K&N filters as well as Mobil 1 filters, but Motorcraft filters are also good.

If you stick to a 3K interval, dino should be fine.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I just took my truck to the local dealer for the 60k maintenance. I found out that they do oil changes with the motorcraft filter and 5w20 oil for about $25. The dealer recommends every 5000 miles. I think thats a little long, but thats what the dealer puts on the reminder.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tmanxx
I just took my truck to the local dealer for the 60k maintenance. I found out that they do oil changes with the motorcraft filter and 5w20 oil for about $25. The dealer recommends every 5000 miles. I think thats a little long, but thats what the dealer puts on the reminder.
tmanxx

Your oil change interval actually depends on how you drive your vehicle. Take a look at your scheduled maintenance guide, if you still have it. Your Ford dealer put a 5000 mile reminder there because that falls under the "normal" schedule. We should all be so lucky! I mean, most Ford dealers will automatically put a 3000 mile reminder on our windshields because they will "dream up" a situation where your usage falls under the "severe" schedule. They get in to more of our wallets that way. But put serious thought into how you drive your vehicle; and remember that if you only OCCASIONALLY drive your vehicle under any of the severe conditions outlined in your scheduled maintenance guide, you don't need to follow the severe schedule. Also, $25 for the Ford dealer to change your oil is not really that bad, considering you're getting the right oil (a synthetic blend at that) for your engine and a darn good oil filter. Plus a few other small services normally included with a Lube/Oil/Filter service.

My 2 cents

Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I bring up some points to consider:
The extended change interval oils that are now on the market may be able to go a bit longer by their formulation, but I think they are giving the wrong message to some who think they can do it with other oils and filter changes.
The oil undergoes a 'shearing process' at the main and rod bearings and elsewhere a shearing action results.
This changes the oil molecule configuration and depletes certain load bearing capability the oil had to begin with.
This break down also increases the viscosicty of the oil.
The oil can pick up fuel and acid formations that cannot be filtered.
Just filtering does not change these processes.
Normal oil change intervals take this into consideration.
If an oil filter blocks into by pass condition, after a rediculas amount of use, the owner deserves the consequences.
Why change the factory reccomendations in an attempt to get some kind of unproven advantage, that is risky?

Old 03-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bluegrass
I bring up some points to consider:
The extended change interval oils that are now on the market may be able to go a bit longer by their formulation, but I think they are giving the wrong message to some who think they can do it with other oils and filter changes.
The oil undergoes a 'shearing process' at the main and rod bearings and elsewhere a shearing action results.
This changes the oil molecule configuration and depletes certain load bearing capability the oil had to begin with.
This break down also increases the viscosicty of the oil.
The oil can pick up fuel and acid formations that cannot be filtered.
Just filtering does not change these processes.
Normal oil change intervals take this into consideration.
If an oil filter blocks into by pass condition, after a rediculas amount of use, the owner deserves the consequences.
Why change the factory reccomendations in an attempt to get some kind of unproven advantage, that is risky?
I think you're right Bluegrass. In fact, I can see a lot of lawsuits against the companies that make claims about "15,000 mile" oil changes. I just don't see how it can happen. And if the vehicle is still under the original warranty, I would not take chances. It's Russian Roulette.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
hmmm

Depending on your mileage, if under about 50,000 go with the factory weight, afterwards it wouldn't be a bad idea go one step thicker (ex. 10w-30 to a 10w-40) Oil filter wise, go with the fram tough guard if you are planning on keeping the oil in for more than 3 thousand miles or if not a regular fram or K&N.

Quick Reply: oil question