codes codes codes....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
codes codes codes....HELP!!

PLEASE HELP ME! I am not the most knowledgable in the world, but I can do most work myself. Please dont use any abbreviations I dont understand. I appreciate any help. This forum has been helpful to me in the past.

First, I changed my plugs a month and half ago. I developed a bad miss a month later. Took to autozone, said cylinder 8 misfiring. Changed coil pack. Ran better. Next day did it again after I washed the engine after degreasing. Went to autozone. Cylinder 3 misfiring. Put in old coil pack that was dried out, worked better but still had an intermittent miss. Im guessing there was still a little moisture in there b/c the coil pack i removed seemed pretty wet. I think the biggest problem is my failure to use dialectic grease around the boots, which I am going to do soon.

My battery light has been coming on at high rpms. I read a lot of posts on the website and determined it was the alternator brushes. I replaced this today and sure enough that was better. However I still had the intermittent miss every once in a while. It also began to feel that I was loosing a little power when using full throttle, which I attributed to the possible moisture still around the coil pack(s).

Out of spite (cause I actually hate autozone) i took the truck to advance auto. There code reader was different. I expected it to tell me cylinder three misfire again or something related. However, it told me the following info:

DTC (Codes)

P0171
System to Lean
(Bank One)

DTC Pending (Codes)

P1613
Manfacurer Contrl.
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs

P0440
EVAP Emission
Control System
Malfunction

I read a lot about P0171, and I am curious if these codes have anything to do with anything I did. I also use a K and N airfilter which was really oily and dirty before i cleaned it the other day. I have never had a light come on related to checking the engine. I do not believe this is related, but my brakes are shot and Im changing the rotors and brakes this weekend. I think most of this is able to be fixed with a lot of confusion probably, but the P1613 bothers me b/c my truck has been shifting differently since I replaced the alternator and battery. At first I attributed this to the computer, but I understand this code has something to do with the tranny. Any and all help is great. thanks.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
by the way...out of all that, I failed to mention that I removed a hose to change the number 3 coil pack. Im not real familiar with these, but I believe this is the PCV hose (?). It looks like it goes from the valve cover on the passenger side around the back side of the throttle body through a small canister and into the side of my k and n. I put this back when I was done. Would this have something to do with it? The gas cap was tight when i checked it. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
What spark plugs did you use? Motorcrafts are suggested. Certain aftermarket brands sometimes do not perform well and cause misfires.

Sounds like a vacuum leak in that PCV hose. I'd suggest replacing it.

Do use the dielectric grease. Moisture in the plug boots will cause all kinds of misfires. Since you washed the engine, it is likely that you now have all kinds of moisture-induced problems, especially if you used a pressure washer.

The 2000 Ford Service CD PCED does not list either P0440 or P1613 as possible faults. Disconnect your battery for 15 minutes to drain the PCM's KAM then see what happens.

Steve

Old 02-10-2005, 11:45 AM
i am going to take it to the autozone to see if it says the same things. The PCV hose is suspect, I agree. Is this the hose coming around the throttle body with the canister in the rear and attaching to the air intake? Do those two codes that are not listed have something to do with the fact that they are "Pending Codes".

Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a 5.4 ,, they are really bad to rot out the elbow on the end of the pcv hose.. This will cause the lean code and bad idling..

Look on you passenger side valve cover and you will see the valve and then trace the plastic tube around to the back of the trottle body,, this is where the rubber elbow resides.

You can check it with the engine running and see if you feel any vacuum with your fingers.

Good luck and I hope this is it,,, easy fix and a 20 dollar part, valve hose and elbow,from Ford.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
The hose you're describing with the canister sounds more like the hose that feeds the IAC valve, this hose would be on the driver's side.
The PCV hose would be connected to the PCV valve on the passenger's side valve cover and go to the back of the throttle body. The large boot at the end of the PCV hose that actually connects to the throttle body has been known to develope cracks.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:00 PM
not sure you are correct there, but I would not challenge you. Reminder: I have the K&N so it may reroute something, I cant remember. I looked last night trying to figure out the hoses and the one stuck in the valve cover that I easily pulled out the other day runs aroundt the back of the throttle body, into a small black canister, and slightly around the the drivers side. It tucks underneath the cover beside another hose I believe. Is this the PCV hose? If so, where is this elbow exactly? Im assuming it looks just like the one out of the valve cover.

Question: I looked at what i believe to be the MAF sensor. When installing the new filter, I had to put it through the tube just behind the cone. When I removed the cone, I did not notice any dirt on the sensor. I did notice a little dust in the tube, but that was it. Is this the right sensor? Do I just clean it with carb cleaner or electrical cleaner?

I just realized that I have not heard the air filter whistle in a long time. When I used to get on the throttle, when I let off you could hear it whistle. It does this same whistle when I turn the truck off. Any ideas?

Last edited by tarheel; 02-10-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:32 PM
The PCV valve hose connects from the PCV valve on the passenger's side valve cover and runs to the backside of the throttle body intake, this hose does not have anything to do with nor does it connect to the filter system anywhere.
There are two hoses on the driver's side. One actually connects to the valve cover and is a vent hose, this hose does not have a canister (muffler). The hose that has the cannister doesn't connect to the valve cover, it connects from behind the throttle body intake on the driver's side to the filter system.

The MAF sensor is a black plastic cylinder with a 4 bolt flange, when you look inside, you will see two very thin wire elements, use a electrical parts spray cleaner. It's better that you don't touch the wire elements, but if you have to, be very gentle and careful because the wires are easy to break.

Also, the filter element itself needs periodic cleaning too.

Last edited by 01screw; 02-10-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
sounds good...i will try this tonight. I am going to clean that tonight. Any idea where I can get the cleaner? Also, I am going to locate the pcv hose and check this out for cracks with starter fluid. The air filter is clean, I believe that is the filter you were referring too. I will disconnect the battery this afternoon for a while to reset and see what happens when i check for codes again. I will fill you in tonight. Thanks for everyones help. Hopefully this will resolve some problems I have been having.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
After disconnecting the battery, before you connect it back, click your high beam lever a couple of times. This will drain any residual power and give you a nice clean slate.

The PCV elbow we're referring to is way back behind the throttle intake, might be hard to reach with starter fluid. Best pull it out and visual inspect it.

The electrical parts spray is available at most parts stores.

Last edited by 01screw; 02-10-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01Screw is correct... The line going to the drivers side cover supplys fresh filtered air into the engine block while the PCV valve on the passenger side cover sucks out the fumes and vapors. The other line connected to the intake tube supplys fresh filtered air to the Idle air control valve.

Do you have a 5.4 or 4.6?

The suspect PCV elbow is on the back of the throttle body turndown and is up close to the firewall and hard to see.

I remember reading in past threads where people have caused the elbow to tear when they were changing plugs and coils, like you mentioned..

The elbow rots from the PCV fumes and is a very common problem with 5.4's,, Happened to my wifes Expedition at 117k miles.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Question: I hear a slight leak in the vacuum. It sounds like it is coming from the area you both are describing. However, I took the IAC off to clean it and did not replace the gasket with a new one. I sprayed starter fluid in there when the engine was cold, but no engine response in the idle. I also sprayed along the intake manifold and the pcv from the valve cover. No starter fluid came with a can that can spray directly through a 'straw". Is this why I may not be getting a reaction behind the throttle body? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:35 PM
If you hear a leak, then follow the PCV valve hose and reach behind the throttle body, you will feel the rubber boot that connects there, pull it off and the whole PCV valve hose will come out. Then you can inspect the boot for cracks. If none, then I would replace the IAC valve gasket since there both in the same general area that you hear the leak.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Codes

Last edited by Rockpick; 02-12-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Bama...

I have edited your post because of copyright laws and such. We don't need the manufacturer of your book/CD setup to become interested in pursuing someone (f150online.com) for aiding in the pirating of copywritten material.

It's rare that a lawyer is calling us at f150online.com and thus, we'd really like to keep it that way.

Thanks for understanding and we appreciate your participation to ensure that this site continues to reign as the #1 F-series enthusiast message board on the web!

-RP-

Quick Reply: codes codes codes....HELP!!