97 F150 engine help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 engine help

Hi, i got a 1997 F150 with the V6 in it..

has 60,000 miles on it..

I started noticing, that when i start the truck for the first time of the day.. like on the way to work.. when it first starts.. it is really rough.. until i get some RPM's in it.. then it will smooth out.. i was thinking it was a plug, or a wire going bad..

Truck today, when i went to start it.. seemed to lock up.. turned over 2 times.. then stopped.. i bumped it over again.. turnover like 2 times.. then stopped again.. finally.. it cranked up.. thought maybe the starter or something.. with the same rough idle.. likea miss.. ran the idle up a little.. till it smoothed out.. so i went down the road.. to go get something to eat, and noticed.. a ton of smoke.. white.. coming from the pipe.. i immediately turned around and went home.. got home.. killed it.. lifted the hood.. and heard this buzzin.. or some weird noise, on the passenger side of the engine.. then it went away.. so i started the truck again.. smoked... really bad.. killed it.. and could hear that noise.. made the noise for about a minute.. then stopped..

Truck ran fine.. i didnt notice any performance loss.. or anything like that.. only thing that tipped me off was all the smoke..

What could it be.. blown head gasket? ring?? something..

Thanks for yalls help.. email is dgrobe2112@netzero.com

Old 02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a head gasket (partial hydrolock, steam in exhaust). You may have had very close to a hard hydro lock, just enough coolant in a cylinder to increase the compression ratio so it stopped the starter. I would turn it over with a socket on the snout of the crankshaft at least two turns before I'd try the starter again. To date, you're out maybe $100 in parts (various gaskets). If it locks up you could be out an entire bottom end ($2000).

That all depends on my being right in the diagnosis. I could be dead wrong.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 AM
thanks.. i was kinda thinking that also..

Here were my 2 diagnosisis..lol..

1. head gasket.
2. piston ring

Here is what i was thinking... recently.. the truck been idling rough at startup.. like a miss.. but.. it would go away after a little bit..so.. that being said.. if there was coolant in the cylinder.. it would take some time until the coolent was passed.. then it would run fine.. maybe now it just got bad enough over time..

Also, hoping.. that the partial hydrolock.. wouldnt have damaged the motor.. thing is.. i started it again last night.. cranked right up.. no hydrolcok.. or anything.. everything seems fine.. except for the smoke.. and the rough idle at start..

Old 02-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your head gaskets are fine! What has failed is your lower intake gaskets.You better replace them ASAP or you will be buying a new engine!
www.leakingfords.com

Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 PM
no kiddin, i wouldnt even start it again, have it towed!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:17 PM
thnx blueoval for the info.. my truck had alot of those symtoms.. iwill see what ford dealer says.. and ask them about those other issues..

Thanks alot you guys..

Quick Reply: 97 F150 engine help