New method on radiator flush...Thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New method on radiator flush...Thoughts??

ok so im reading about all the troubles people are having and tryin to come up with a good solution because i am also thinking of changing my radiator fluid, and like many others i want all of the old fluid to go away.

my thought what would happen if i was to get two large water containers (large enough to hold all of the trucks 19L of antifreeze) and fill one with nice clean antifreeze leave one empty. then disconnect the heater core hoses and extend them to their respective container. if the truck is cold the heater acts as a bypass to the thermostat rite??? so i should be able to drain nasty antifreeze into one bucket and pick it up from another assuming i dont allow too much air in the system. there may be some logistics to work out like helping the intake side by placing it higher than the truck so gravity has a chance to help. might have to remove the thermostat during this process just to allow the coolant to mix all the time, but would that stop my "bypass flow"

PS im running a 99 150 w/ 4.6 2wd ...120,000 mi

What do you guys think...sorry its a little scatterbrained i was just typing my thoughts

Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Just did this. - Just drain it / Flush it w/hose/ fill thru the expansion tank. Just as it says in the service manual. - Nothing special. - Don't have to take anything apart.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by MCRONI19

What do you guys think...sorry its a little scatterbrained i was just typing my thoughts
I think using the heater hoses to flush the coolant is not so new an idea. This might help if you go that route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prest...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrew
Just did this. - Just drain it / Flush it w/hose/ fill thru the expansion tank. Just as it says in the service manual. - Nothing special. - Don't have to take anything apart.
That would be just to easy..

Phil

Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
Unscrew cap and the drain and walk away. or
Go to a rad shop and have them change it.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
Unscrew cap and the drain and walk away. or
Go to a rad shop and have them change it.
yup, thats how we do it too all the mercedes. Throw it on a lift, open drain, let drain for awhile. Easy. Remeber KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

JMC still workin on finding you some good cv's.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
That would be just to easy..

Phil
- I myself did it the hard way - Jack up the front/ disconnect the top hose when filling/ all that crap.

JMC mentioned just the drain and fill and had know problems doing it that way.

So that's what I did this time and I'll be damned - It was cake, it worked! No problem.

Just drained rad and the block/ flushed/ filled her up. - No air pockets/hot spots/gurgling after shut down, nothing of that nature.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-29-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrew
- I myself did it the hard way - Jack up the front/ disconnect the top hose when filling/ all that crap.

JMC mentioned just the drain and fill and had know problems doing it that way.

So that's what I did this time and I'll be damned - It was cake, it worked! No problem.

Just drained rad and the block/ flushed/ filled her up. - No air pockets/hot spots/gurgling after shut down, nothing of that nature.
Ditto, did mine the same way last September. Everything was fine when I was done and no problems since.

Quick Reply: New method on radiator flush...Thoughts??