Flex-a-lite 270 Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flex-a-lite 270 Update

Well, I have finally gotten and installed the Flex-A-Lite 270 fans. The install is not bad if you take your time and do it right, I did it over three days just to make sure that I did not get frustrated and to do a good job. First day I just wired up the fans and drilled the hole in the shroud, pulled the wires through after putting a rubber groumet in the hole I drilled, groumet not included, second day I did all of the wiring in the truck and mounted the control unit and the fuse holder, I mounted them to the passenger side front clip in front of the windshield washer reservoir on the radiator side of the headlight, the ac turn on wire and the power wire I ran from the fuse box by the brake booster, and by the way I did this because of someone here in the forum that installed one of these fans and found these conections in the fuse box and then took pictures of the fuse box and pointed out the proper conections, I tried to find your thread again to thank you but could not find it, so I hope you read this so I can say thank you, THANK YOU, that made the job so much easier and clean, thanks again. The third day I removed the old fan and installed the new one,the old fan was not bad once I barrowed a fan clutch puller from autozone, the part that holds the pulley is a 54mm, I used a 18 inch cresent wrench for the fan,and on mine it loosened counter clockwise, now for the install of the new fan I put the brakets together on the fan first, the instructions tell you to keep them seperate but if you do this it is almost impossible to get the bottom nuts on, just put the brakets together loosely on the outer most slot of the braket that attaches to the fans,that is for the 1.5 inch radiator, the other thing that makes it much easier to remove the old fan and to install the new fans is to remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator. I did all of my electrical conections and left enough extra wire to be able to adjust the control unit up on top,and then mount it back on the front clip. Set up is pretty straight forward, the only problem I had was when I adjusted the thermostat after the truck warmed up, it was not cycling on and off so I just had to back it off a little and it started cycling properly.Now for the fun stuff, I have read here where people have done this install and really did not feel any difference in engine power, I feel a definite increase in power, not a head jerking difference but an overall powerband difference. The noise of the fans is more than the old but not bad. Well I tried to keep it short but I guess I failed, I really like this upgrade so far and I hope that it stays that way. Thanks to everyone for the input and answering all of my questions, it helped make up my mind to get and install the fans. Thanks again. TPOPE

Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the 270 kit as well. I have some pic's in the gallery of alt. mounting places for the control module.

Quick Reply: Flex-a-lite 270 Update