Can I see the FTP Sensor without Dropping Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can I see the FTP Sensor without Dropping Tank?

I just finished having my mechanic replace the fuel pump in my 1998 F150. When I got it back, it had the Check Engine Light on. When I asked about it, I was told it was the Idle Air Controller. After a search of the forum, I found great instructions on how to replace this part. Thanks!!! Unfortunately, I still ended up with the Check engine lite on :-( (afer resetting it)

After paying high $ for the fuel pump fix, I decided to be a DIY kind of guy and figure it out myself. I bought a code reader and ended up getting a P0453 code. Based on the info in this forum it is likely the FTP sensor. I figured the mechanic forgot to plug it in after the fuel pump replacement. Back I went.

Well, the mechanic says it is a leak in the fuel evap system and not the sensor. He said it could take up to 5 hrs of work to fix...What should I believe????

Is it possible to see the FTP sensor without dropping the tank? Is it hard to drop the tank? It is time to take matters into my own hands!!

I haven't been able to find a Chilton Book in stock at any of the stores and need to order one. Anyone have a link to some instructions while I wait for my delivery?

Thanks to all!
TyeRant

Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Run the tank low and drop it yourself, it is very easy. you will need some fuel disconnect tools to remove the inlet and outlet fuel lines and the wireharness unplugs there also.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
P0453 Evap Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input
make sure the wire connectors are plugged in. i had my tank out and i think the connectors are at the front of the tank by the frame. also there was something towards the rear what pulled out when i dropped mine, not sure what it was though.
run the tank empty as stated and its very easy to remove.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
The tank does not have to be dropped to access the FTP.
It is located right next to the fuel pump. You can see it looking from the drive shaft side on top of the tank.
The harness from the pump also plugs into the FTP sensor.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM
uhh correct me if i'm wrong but when i upgraded my fuel pump it was in the tank!!!

Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
No, it locks into the top of the tank. Has a 3 wire connector going to it.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Personally, I hate dropping the tank, it’s a royal pia dealing with the short fuel and electrical connections on the top of the tank. Believe it or not I much prefer pulling the bed off and working on the tank in place.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks All!

Thanks to all who responded.

I hope to fix this issue this weekend. I will let you know how I do.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Smile CEL Fixed !

After trying to get to the FTP in my driveway, I gave up for a while and lived with the CEL. With my emission test looming, I decided to get off my duff and drop the tank.

As it is a little cold at the moment, I decided to rent a garage with a hoist. I am so glad I did!

With the extra room I was able to feel around and find the disconnected line and plug it back in. It took me 15 minutes and cost me $15 Canadian for an hours rental of the garage.

Thanks to all who helped me out!

TyeRant

Quick Reply: Can I see the FTP Sensor without Dropping Tank?