Just one click when I try to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just one click when I try to start

Hi thanks in advance to anyone who can help me I realy Appreciate it. This problem has been driving me crazy for a week now

when I try to start i just get one click I repaced th solenoid and starter and it worked ok for a week then it happened again so i took the starter in and they said it was a bad starterThen i took the new one home and tried it nothing just one click I have been back to advance aout and tries 4 differn't starters and still nothing just one click..

What could possibly be the problem this is driving me crazy

Please help

Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Did you replace the wires to the starter?

It is very common on these trucks for the wires to the starter to corrode and cause the problems you are having. The wires cannot be visually inspected though. You must either peel back the insulation (Because the corrosion starts under the insulation) or do a resistance test.

Make sure your new solenoid also didn't go bad like the new starter did.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Thank you

YES I have tried diffrn't solenoids and i replaced the wire to the starter. It still just won't work. If you have any other ideas PLEASE let me know this is driving me crazy.
Thanks for your reply

Thanks again

Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
So i take it that all electrical connections are tight and clean. Is the battery maybe on its way out??. Is the alt. putting out like it should??. Recheck the wire (main fat red one) to the starter. Go to autozone and have battery/alt check done for free. Its got to be one or the other of these items. Please let us know what you find out. gl

Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 AM
mine did that alot when the alternator was goin out.sometimes it'd have enough juice to start it and sometimes it wouldn't.you can pull the brushes out of the alternator and check em.they're pretty cheap to replace at oreiley's and you might as well get a voltage regulator to be on the safe side if they are bad.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Other sources of this kind of problem are the battery cable connections and ground. If you have not done so, remove them, use the cleaning brush on both the posts and the connectors.
An open battery intercell connector will also do the same.
One way to tell if one these faults are present is to see if the interior light go out when you attempt starting. If the heavy current draw opens a bad connection, nothing will have power at a reasonable level.
Also have the store check any starter/alternator you buy before you leave the store.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks all for your help

Still nothing works i've tried cleaning all cable ect.

I have not done anything with the altanator but i have checked the voltage and I have 12 volts going to the starter/
also when i do turn the key the interior light stays on
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

Old 11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could the engine be locked-up? Try turning it over with a wrench. I've seen alternator bearings lock an engine up to the point it would not turn over.

Last edited by Bent6; 11-09-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone I went out today and it started right up pretty amazing Still trying to figure it out I think it will happen again I still think something electrical but i don't know

What do you mean engine locked up Do you mean it could be seized up? Because before this i was having some low or no oil pressure problems could this be the end of my engine?truck

Thanks again all

Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Brint150

What do you mean engine locked up Do you mean it could be seized up? Because before this i was having some low or no oil pressure problems could this be the end of my engine?truck
It could be. Next time you have problem, try turning the crank with a wrench. If it will not move or is very tight something mechanical is keeping the engine from turning. Try taking off the belt and trying it again. If it still won't turn, there is a problem in the engine or trans. Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I just went thur this same problem and it was the starter. All seems well so far?? Its only been 2 days. I hope it will stay good! I will be watching this thread to see how you make out!!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Just one click when I try to start