Need to replace EGR valve

Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace EGR valve

I have a F 150 Ford supercab P/U 1999. The engine light has been on for several months. I was just told today that the reason the engine light has been on is because we need to replace the EGR valve.
Has anyone else needed to replace this valve? And where is the EGR valve located in the pickup?
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:21 PM
you prolly have a 4.6 and all you need to do is clean the egr ports and/or replace the dpfe. do a search on this board on egr ports.

if you have the 5.4 you might need a valve.

welcome to the boards!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 PM
on the 5.4 you may have a bad dfpe. what were the codes?

Old 08-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The EGR valve seldom fails.

More diagnostic work is suggested.

Steve

Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 PM
EGR's do fail. I had a P0401. Autozone checks the service engine soon codes for free. This is a Ford dealer part only(at least it was when I had to buy mine. I remember about $55)

Now this is just my opinion, but it worked for me.

I think of the EGR's being related to mileage. Under 75K it's most likely not the EGR. The more over 100K you are the more likely the problem is the EGR. Mine failed at about 125K.

Some people have good luck cleaning them. I have not had that luck.

The EGR sits on the top front of the engine. Follow the upper radiator hose back towards the engine. As you get close to the engine it 's the 2" round thing(great technical term I know) to the left of the radiator hose. From a different perspective... follow the air intake back to the engine. It's below the throttle position sensor(a little to the left).

It gets really hot in this area of the engine. You will touch some really hot engine parts and burning yourself isn't fun. Perhaps a good Saturday morning job before you start it for the day.... or just let it cool down before you tackle the job. Remember patience is key. It's not a hard job but space is very tight.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Yeah they do fail but I would believe it is because of bad maintenance. Here's a picture of a failed one. Just replaced mine with no problem. Easy job if you can get the bolt off the goes to the exhaust. I just bought the truck and was doing some checking.

Bad Egr Valve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to replace EGR valve