Starting problem- Turns over slowly then quickly

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting problem- Turns over slowly then quickly

My 98 F150 5.4L truck is having trouble starting. When I turn the key, the engie spins over real slowly (as if the battery was weak) and it sounds as if its about to stop spinning completely when suddenly the starter spins more quickly (as if it suddenly received more power) and the truck starts. I took the battery to Autozone and they said the battery (which is 875 cca) voltage was a little lower than normal, but that my battery was still good. They told me to clean and tighten the battery connections, so I did. Yet, the problem didn't get solved. I've driven it for several days and each time I pray that the truck will start. Could Autozone be wrong about the battery? Should I replace it or try something else? Should I get a battery with more CCA? Any ideas???

Old 05-12-2004, 04:39 PM
i have the same problem on my stang. in my case its the starter going bad and drawing too many amps. my starter has been dammaged from too much heat from the headers.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:34 PM
My uncle had that problem. Turned out it was just the battery cabes. They had corroded from the inside out. Changed them and all was good.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:58 PM
It definitely sounds like a bad cable issue to me. The first thing I would do is replace all of the cables from the battery to the starter, and if that didn't fix it, I would change the solenoid, then I would look at the starter.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:07 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if it was the solenoid.mine went out after like 60,000 + or- and they're only like 6 bucks,cheaper than cables,so ya might wanna try that first

Quick Reply: Starting problem- Turns over slowly then quickly