Truck will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will not start

Hi I have a 1986 F150. A couple of days ago the truck would not start. The inside lights come on and the radio works, but when I turn the key to start it all it does is click in the solenoid. So I took the starter off and got it tested and found out that it does not work so I replaced it today, but its still just clicking in the solenoid. Do you guys think its the solenoid or could it be something else? Also the guy who checked the started said he thought it must have shorted out what do you think would have caused that?

Old 04-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Assuming your battery is fully charged.
Clean the battery post's and connectors at the battery and the solenoid, also the wires to the starter and the ground at the motor. also clean the threads of the bolts, make as much clean metal to metal contact as possible. it might be necessary to clean the bolts and contact surface of the starter to the motor. Also if there is a leak and the starter is oily or dirty you will need to clean it.

Last edited by MrBurns; 04-06-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have done all of those things but that did not seem to help.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
If you have already tried cleaning the cables, then I would try replacing them. Then, I would take a look at that solenoid. If you have changed the starter and checked the cables, then the solenoid itself would be the next logical component to check (again assuming thatit's a good battery). Good luck!

Old 04-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Is there anyway to check the solenoid without buying a new one?

Old 04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I replaced the solenoid and it starts great now thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Truck will not start