5.4L Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 5.4L Performance

My buddy recently built his own performance chip for his 2002 diesel with information he found on the internet. It cost him about $5 for a couple of diodes and a toggle switch. He says that there is a considerable difference in performance.

I recently purchased a 2003 Heritage Edition with the 5.4L and was wondering if anyone knows how to make a performance chip without laying out a bunch of green.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey, think about what youre asking, and about what your buddy says. Does it make SENSE that you could BUILD a chip for your truck that would have considerable gains using a few diodes, or electronic parts? What he probly did was alter one or two things, by adding a few parts rigged inline somewhere. I don't know about ford, but a mopar performance chip is about 300+ dollars and parts from banks diesel are not cheap. It doesnt make any sense. Yeah, those dealers make money, but engineers and computer science people don't spend 4+ years of school doing math and engineering courses to build a performance chip for ford for a few bucks.

Without saying "dood, your full of #$*%", ask him to give you the website, bring in what he did or something. Im pretty sure i would bookmark a site that i could build a chip from. Moreover, it sounds like its a rig job to me, look into a reputable company that builds performance chips (preferably Ford), you will be much happier with a good all around "complete" chip, you know?

Old 04-05-2004, 02:35 AM
There are some who put diodes in line with different sensors to fool the ECM into adding extra fuel or changing up the other performance factors. ( there were people on E-Bay selling these " chips" for just a few bucks) Considering the complex nature of the modern engine control systems these "mods" sre really quite useless. A good proformance mod will change your advance curve for different conditions, change fuel trims to compensate for timing changes, alter trans shift points to take advantage of increased engine performance and keep the truck drivable in all types of weather and conditions. Considering all that the real mods are capable of doing I think they are worth the money. If stock is not getting you where you want to be stay away for the "snake oil" mods and invest in something you know will be reliable and give you the true performance you want.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:50 PM
DIVERTOM

WHERE DO U SCUBA AT STEVE?
I SCUBA IN THE PUGET SOUND WASHINGTON STATE
KITSAP COUNTY RESCUE DIVER/ SHERIFF DEPT.

98 F150 4.6L WITH HYPERTECH PROGRAMMER

Quick Reply: 5.4L Performance