warning signs for spark plug blow out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIchScrew,
I just got done installing steel inserts in all my spark plug holes on my E-350 ford van.
Here is the link to pictures, it may take a min or 2 to load . (lots of pictures)

installing steel insert in spark plug holes Big-sert

Overall I would have to say it is pretty easy, the hard part is removing all the stuff so you can get to the plug.

Enjoy !

Old 05-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I was also wondering about warning signs of this. I have a 2001 with a 4.6 with 48000 miles that I bought about a year ago. I noticed a ticking sound from the right side of the engine shortly after I got it. I dont notice it much at idle but when you get on the gas it gets louder with the RPMs. My first thought was an exhaust leak so I took it to a reputable exhaust shop and they said my exhaust looks great and that he felt the noise was more in the top of the motor. His idea was maybe just a loud injector but didnt really know because it wasnt his specialty. Like I say this has been going on for about a year now so if it was a plug getting ready to go, wouldnt it have gone by now? Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by sean46
I was also wondering about warning signs of this. I have a 2001 with a 4.6 with 48000 miles that I bought about a year ago. I noticed a ticking sound from the right side of the engine shortly after I got it. I dont notice it much at idle but when you get on the gas it gets louder with the RPMs. My first thought was an exhaust leak so I took it to a reputable exhaust shop and they said my exhaust looks great and that he felt the noise was more in the top of the motor. His idea was maybe just a loud injector but didnt really know because it wasnt his specialty. Like I say this has been going on for about a year now so if it was a plug getting ready to go, wouldnt it have gone by now? Any thoughts guys?

Thanks
I just started to notice a slight ticking sound from mine but I just changed the plugs so I know it ain't them. I have 47,000 miles on my 5.4L engine.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 PM
New plug won't seed

We had a plug back out, the coul pack broke which caused it to let the plug back out. What do we have to do to get it to seed. Threads do not look stripped

Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Sounds like you need a Timesert.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by jaymz
I agree; this seems to be an issue ONLY with the 5.4l. Have not heard of anyone blowing a plug out of a 4.6l.

Mine is still going strong after 134,000 miles!
I have a 4.6 and just blew my cylinder 8 plug and cop out and was hanging by the sensor 04 with 190k miles

Old 04-12-2021, 03:39 PM
My 2003 5.4 with 156K on it just blew the second plug out. They replaced the plug and coil ( #4 on the passenger side ) the first time but haven't determined if it's the same one or a different one this time. We'll update later when I know more. Update : This one is the second from front on the driver's side and they had to do a steel thread insert. Kinda nervous about driving it now but I suppose I need to check the others myself as it's getting expensive having someone else do it. I spent 40 years in the auto business ( 20 yrs mechanic 20 as a emissions repair tech. ) The reason I hate to do it my self is due to my cancer treatments I now have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet which makes it difficult to use my tools.

Last edited by safari801; 04-16-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Flytrap
I had a plug back out about a month ago after having them inspected. I drove to Tulsa, OK and back (about 400mi total), and on the way back, I stopped to pay a toll, and I could hear a "tic, tic, tic" sound that sped up with acceleration. This was about 350mi into the trip, and at about 390mi, the plug blew out. It sounded like a popcorm popper, and the truck lost a lot of power. I had to pull over and get towed. It ruined the plug, and it also ruined that coil. The mech said that if the threads had been ruined, they would have to pull the head and put in a helicoil (sp?), which I guess puts in new new threads and is $$$. I have not had it happen since, and I recently had all of the plugs changed (incl. that one). Sorry for the long post. That's my experience.

HTH
James
I wouldn’t use a helicoil spark plug insert of any kind bc the actually aren’t my for those 5.4l 2v if you do use them for it it’s just a temporary fix until you can get an actual insert for it I would recommend get a calvan 38900 kit lot of good mechanics that uses this kit haven’t had a customer bring there trucks back and haven’t had a single spark plug blow out for that cylinder hole I know also know that the helicoil insert that mechanic recommended has damaged my cylinder head to the point it I had to get a new one and I have also have had the helicoil insert it come come out with the spark plug both types of helicoil that with the engine cooled down so use the Calvan 38900 for your 5.4l 2v Triton

Old 11-03-2021, 02:19 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You replied to a 17 year old post. The current insert recommendation is Timesert, and to help prevent blowout torque the plugs to 28 ft/lb.

https://www.timesert.com

Quick Reply: warning signs for spark plug blow out?