bad missfire at all times

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bad missfire at all times

Hello All! I just bought a sick 1991 F150 with a 6cyl engine. I bought the truck from a charity car dealer real cheap because of it's poor running condition. The symtoms are: It starts right up but will not idle. It will run down the road but runs real rough all the time. Almost feels like it is being turned off and on continuosly. My question is, are there any obvious things that I should look for? The truck is 350miles from home and I would like to drive it home if possible.. Thanks TJ

Old 03-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I would check the obvious first:

plugs, wires, cap, rotor

Is it Fuel Injected or Carb?

Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Yes I have checked all the things that I would think could be obvious problems. I'm wondering if the cat could be plugged? Seems to have very little flow out the pipe. Also would a leak on the intake side cause this too. I hate to start throwing parts at the truck without direction. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! TJ

Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
I would definitely check the exhaust out first. It couldbe intake related, but my guess would either be fuel related or exhaust related. I'd go exhaust, then fuel filter, then ignition components.

Quick Reply: bad missfire at all times