Need a new starter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new starter??

Hello everyone. last night it went down to -20c {with windchill of course} and this morning I had to take a hammer to the starter to start my truck. I leave the truck outside because I dont have a garage.This is the first time my truck let me down.Drove her around all day and it started every time.Should I go ahead and replace the starter or wait. I dont want to be left stranded.Is the starter on the way out? thanks.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:24 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Spellbound,

Wind chill doesn't effect inanimate objects only people. Regardless, if your truck is 2000 and older the problem may be the positive lead from the Starter motor solenoid relay switch on the firewall to the starter solenoid on the starter. The nut on the Starter solenoid is steel not copper and it causes corrosion in the wire. When the corrosion spreads enough it limits the current to the starter. Before condemning the starter check for corrosion. You should also check the switch on the fire wall.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-08-2004, 07:32 PM
I had the same problem with my starter a couple of years ago. It would start fine one time...then not start at all another. Got under the truck and the corrosion was very apparent. Cleaned it up and all has been fine since then. Much cheaper than putting in a new starter.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:32 PM
I had the same problem with my starter a couple of years ago. It would start fine one time...then not start at all another. Got under the truck and the corrosion was very apparent. Cleaned it up and all has been fine since then. Much cheaper than putting in a new starter.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Read Mrford no crank no start

Read the post by Mrford no crank no start I think this is your problem.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously doubt it is loose Hold/Pull-in coil leads off the Ignition terminal as Mrford states. This is a mfg problem due to the cycle time of the solder station on the solenoid line. There are enough checks in the system to remove these and get them repaired. Do they still get out, absolutely, but like JMC said, corrosion is far and away the most common problem on the Ford starters.

With galvanic corrosion and the very poor location of these starters, I'm actually kind of surprised we don't see more of these in warranty.

Regarding placing a boot over the connections, it usually makes things worse. Unless the boot completely seals the connections it ends up holding all of the water inside of it making a nice bath. A boot should be no more than a splash guard with alot of ventilation and drainage, or completely seal.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Had the same issue with my 97 2xs, replaced with a copper connection from A/Z. then coated all connections with dielectric grease. no problems .....

Old 03-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Stormsearch
I seriously doubt it is loose Hold/Pull-in coil leads off the Ignition terminal as Mrford states. This is a mfg problem due to the cycle time of the solder station on the solenoid line. There are enough checks in the system to remove these and get them repaired. Do they still get out, absolutely, but like JMC said, corrosion is far and away the most common problem on the Ford starters.

With galvanic corrosion and the very poor location of these starters, I'm actually kind of surprised we don't see more of these in warranty.

Regarding placing a boot over the connections, it usually makes things worse. Unless the boot completely seals the connections it ends up holding all of the water inside of it making a nice bath. A boot should be no more than a splash guard with alot of ventilation and drainage, or completely seal.
I agree, corrosion is probably the most common problem, but mine were the wires between the built-in solenoid and the actual starter itself (why Ford changed to the Chevrolet style, I'll never know). It's definitely worth looking at, just see if those wires are still in one piece.

Quick Reply: Need a new starter??