Starter/Flywheel Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No other plate other than the reinforcement plate that you already have installed. The flex plate bolts directly to the crank flange. I'm at a loss for thoughts on this.

Was the bottom end rebuilt? Thrust washers installed correctly? Crank shaft end play measured and correct?

Just throwing things out there now. What was the reason for the rebuild?

If it were me, I would honestly try one more starter and make sure it's built to ford specification or is a rebuilt original. Inspect everything one more time before I conclude it may be an issue with the flex plate.

Last edited by Toyz; 04-03-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
No other plate other than the reinforcement plate that you already have installed. The flex plate bolts directly to the crank flange. I'm at a loss for thoughts on this.

Was the bottom end rebuilt? Thrust washers installed correctly? Crank shaft end play measured and correct?

Just throwing things out there now. What was the reason for the rebuild?

If it were me, I would honestly try one more starter and make sure it's built to ford specification or is a rebuilt original. Inspect everything one more time before I conclude it may be an issue with the flex plate.
The Bottom end was rebuilt by a professional machine shop that has built a couple of motors for me. so yes, everything was done correctly and measured right.

The reason for the rebuild was b/c the motor was knocking under boost. Upon pulling the pan and main caps, there were chips out of every main bearing. It looks as if the thrust washer was worn.

Name:  IMG00054-20100825-1511.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  33.2 KB

I guess I'll try a rebuilt starter and go from there.

--Ryan

Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM
starter

WOW, I totally forgot posting this, I had so many problems since this! And I lost everything on my pc so I didnt have this forum no more. But i do again now!
But we got the F150 fixed, found out my drunk brother (who is actually a great mechanic, when he isn't drinking!!) messed around with the wires on the solenoid and ended that he crossed them. %&$#@ He cost me alot of money!
I now am looking for some panels and have to replace my tires. She just rolled over 200k!! And still runs like a champ!!! And I dont baby her!
But I wanted to thank everyone for trying to help me!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
oo so it could just be my starter! ima go have mine tested

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Just thought I'd post this on this thread... I've been chasing a vibration for about a year.... been through everything. Its engine speed related, at 1000rpm it s wah wah wah, at 2000rpm its a rumble almost a buzz, at 3000rpm its a higher frequency vibration. It does it in park, drive, neutral... everything. Been to two dealer shops, and three independent. The last couple months, every once in a awhile i would get the grind on starting, just try again and it pops off. I got the idea yesterday to look under that inspection plate at the flexplate. I found about a 2 to 3 inch span where the teeth are damaged. Kind of worn away at at about 45 degrees. Do you guys think this could be my problem? I'll try to get under with a camera and take a picture of the damaged teeth, not sure how they'll come out.
Thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Sorry for the Fraken-thread but I'm in a similar spot...

Originally Posted by bashfullfun
But we got the F150 fixed, found out my drunk brother (who is actually a great mechanic, when he isn't drinking!!) messed around with the wires on the solenoid and ended up that he crossed them. %&$#@ He cost me alot of money!
Just wanted to see if you could clarify this for me, I just replaced the solenoid on the starter on my '01 5.4 and now the starter just spins without engaging the flywheel. It started ONCE since I pulled the starter to replace the solenoid on it and now the best I can get it to do is just spin the starter without engaging.

After I'd gotten everything back together I went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead (dim lights, click no start). Had a neighbor jump me and it started right up, no problem. After letting it run to charge the battery I shut it down and went to try it again and all the gauges/dash lights went nuts and the Relay #1 on the panel by my left knee/drivers seat was clicking steadily. Went back and tightened everything again and now it's click, no start.

With a jump and a few minutes of charging it will spin the starter but not engage. With no jump it's just click, no start or even starter spin. Looking at the earlier pics it appears that I have everything wired back correctly (only the starter came out), but still no luck.

My next step is to pull the starter again and get it tested and do the same with the battery, but initially the damn thing started right up with that first jump BEFORE I'd gone back and tightened everything down again (one ground on the starter solenoid WAS a bit loose, but still well connected). THAT part of it has me stumped. I don't know how/why I would have gotten lucky just that one time it started, but I'm thinking now that it might have been the starter all along.

My question is which solenoid was wired backwards, the starter mounted one or the firewall one (it sounds like the firewall one but wanted to ask) and also what else can I check? I didn't want to post a whole new thread with so much info in this one and so with so many knowledgeable folk already involved I was hoping someone would pick up what I might be missing. TIA everyone!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM
2004 F-150 Starter/ Flywheel Noise

I have replaced my started 3 times in the last month. I have been reading some of the forums and it sounds like I'm not the only one going through this. When I start my truck it makes the screaming noise I shut the truck off and the noise is still there so I turn it over again and it soon goes away. I have had my truck in the shop we have checked everything, the Flywheel looks fine. Some day's I get in my truck and it won't turn over at all. The Battery is working cause lights come on and the radio but the truck won't start. PLEASE HELP. Me and my friends are stumped. It is so frustrating.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Running a few errands this AM, and was about to leave one of my stops. Put key in, turned it and got an unusual grinding type sound. Sounded like starter wasn't engaging the flywheel, maybe freespinning. "Grinding" may not be the correct description. Tried a few times and then grabbed my phone and did a quick search. I found several threads about this type of thing happening. I read a few of the "fixes" others found. But had no tools with me. I tried putting it in gear and getting out and pushing it until it moved just a little, hoping that if it was just an alignment issue between starter and flywheel, I could reposition something. That worked. It cranked next try.

One post mentioned cleaning the ground wires coming off the battery. Some people tried replacing the starter, solenoid, etc. I get the impression it's happened once to some people and never again. I've only owned this 2008 for about two weeks.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:53 AM
My 2008 has now started doing what I described above, about every day. Went from once or twice in 2 months to almost daily.

Quick Reply: Starter/Flywheel Noise?