Head Gasket "sweating"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket "sweating"

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A 1999 F-150. THE ONE THAT WE FOUND IS A 5.4L V8. OUR MECHANIC FOR THE VEHICLE INSPECTION SAYS THAT THE HEAD CGASKET IS SWEATING. THERE IS 87,000 KM ON THE TRUCK AND OTHER WISE IS IN GOOD CONDITION. IS THIS SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE WEARY OF.... FORD DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON AND ONGOING ISSUE WITH THIS.... HELP PLEASE....

Old 12-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Re: Head Gasket "sweating"

Originally posted by cztor
FORD DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE ANY INFORMATION...
They always say that

The 1999-on 4.6L & 5.4L head gaskets commonly leak oil and coolant. Whatever is leaking now is bound to get worse.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:48 PM
One of the guys here had the same problem after his thermostat got stuck and it overheated. It was weeping a little fluid from the driver's side, but had no performance issues. While I was tearing it down, I checked the compression and it had great cylinder compression. After removing the head, I found the head bolts had actually stretched allowing the head gasket to leak coolant, so needless to say, we ended up buying new bolts and gaskets for both sides. Been fine since, but you had better work the cost of repair into the price. You don't want to rely on a vehicle once the head gaskets start acting up. That was the first time I had ever seen a head leak without blowing.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket "sweating"