4.6 throttle body / egr passage cleaning ;Pinging 90% eliminated

Old 12-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year and mileage do you guys have? Are you finding that you need to replace any of the gaskets? How are you going about cleaning the ports? Thanks!!!

-AR

Old 12-11-2003, 05:35 PM
My trucks a 97 4.6 with 130000 miles on it, and no I didnt have to replace any gaskets.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:38 PM
you could replace the egr gasket though.

Last edited by my97offroad; 12-11-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:46 PM
98, 4.6L, 80,000 miles been pinging since 60,000 miles. progressivly getting better

throttle body and elbow came off easy no gasket damage, egr to elbow gasket seperated easy but in 2 pieces. better off replaceing it. (exhaust gases). the ports can be cleaned useing a good intake / injector cleaner as long as it's coating safe. and anything that will get in the ports and do the job with out damaging the coatings.

happy wrenchings

Old 12-12-2003, 12:53 PM
98, 4.6L, 80,000 miles been pinging since 60,000 miles. progressivly getting better

throttle body and elbow came off easy no gasket damage, egr to elbow gasket seperated easy but in 2 pieces. better off replaceing it. (exhaust gases). the ports can be cleaned useing a good intake / injector cleaner as long as it's coating safe. and anything that will get in the ports and do the job with out damaging the coatings.

happy wrenchings

Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 PM
I have severe knock as well and I suspect carbon buildup. However, I am not the most experienced garage mechanic. I have no idea how to take out the EGR valve and I don't even know where the throttle body is. I looked at the Haynes manual for these systems but after reading it, I still don't get it. Not enough pictures of where each part is, I guess. Is there a set of instructions with more pictures about this procedure? Would any of you be willing to write up a step by step guide with pictures? I and I'm sure other newbs would be eternally grateful!

Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Go to this site find year and make. Then go into emissions section
shows pics of EGR and other key components .
Good Luck

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 12-18-2003, 01:28 AM
great site, fordpwr. thanks!

Old 12-30-2003, 12:15 AM
Thumbs up Definately check this out!

98 4.6l Expedition. Wife says it started the pinging thing at about 40K. Dealer said use mid-range fuel. By 70K Dealer had her using Premium. (She was ready to sell it then, but I talked her out of it.)By 137K it pings ALL the time.
Tried the injector cleaning, the MAF cleaning, fuel filter, New spark plugs. (boy was that a hassle) Even tired a Jaccobs ignition. (ended up sending it back.) Nothing seemed to stop the pinging.
The pictures in this post were EXACTLY what I found. The back hole 100% clogged, and the hole closer to the EGR valve 95% clogged. Throughly cleaned Throttle Body and EGR passages. Filled up today with the cheep stuff!! Just a slight ping now and then. Now my wife says she'll keep it awhile longer.
This post DIRECTLY saved us some BIG money. FANTASTIC!!
Of course, summer will be the REAL test, but it's definately better.
Thanks again for the post.
Carl

Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Looks like something else im going to have to do this winter. I always keep the tb clean along with the IAC. How hard was it to remove everything?

Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Re: Definately check this out!

Originally posted by cheidolph
98 4.6l Expedition. Wife says it started the pinging thing at about 40K. Dealer said use mid-range fuel. By 70K Dealer had her using Premium. (She was ready to sell it then, but I talked her out of it.)By 137K it pings ALL the time.
Tried the injector cleaning, the MAF cleaning, fuel filter, New spark plugs. (boy was that a hassle) Even tired a Jaccobs ignition. (ended up sending it back.) Nothing seemed to stop the pinging.
The pictures in this post were EXACTLY what I found. The back hole 100% clogged, and the hole closer to the EGR valve 95% clogged. Throughly cleaned Throttle Body and EGR passages. Filled up today with the cheep stuff!! Just a slight ping now and then. Now my wife says she'll keep it awhile longer.
This post DIRECTLY saved us some BIG money. FANTASTIC!!
Of course, summer will be the REAL test, but it's definately better.
Thanks again for the post.
Carl
Thats got to be the best first post i have seen in quite a while. Welcome to the site.

Old 12-31-2003, 12:59 AM
took me a few hours...mostly to clean the dam thing...make sure you have a few bottles of Throttle body cleaner on hand..i would use STP brand..worked great. Only thing i would do would be to retap the 4 mounting holes for the elbow to intake manifold. Also get some penatrating oil and put on ever bolt and let sit for 10 min...mostly on the egr valve. It was pretty straight forward...i noticed it was easier to remove the lines not from the throttle body but from the other units themselves..for some things atleast..that very back hose i just used a screw driver and it came off once you broke the seal. Just take your time and enjoy working on the truck...i sure do..hehe just wish i had a bigger wallet to buy more things for her....

Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 AM
On my 130,000 mi. 4x4 took one hour and was completly bloked. Do I need to reset the computer to notice any diferences?

Old 12-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Just an update !!!
Wife has went back to the cheap stuff too and after approx. 1000 miles still running fine no ping. Expe has 98k miles on it plan on keeping at least until 150k. Its paid for and runs/drives great!!

cheidolph glad to see you solved your problem of pinging; some things are free

Mike

Old 02-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Thumbs up Thanks for the Great Help

Just wanted to send out a BIG Thanks to FordPWR for the awesome photo. A picture truely is worth a thousand words. I didn't waste time at the dealership/ I didn't waste any money on trying to replace parts/ Gas mileage is up/ Light is out/ Piece of mind knowing it's right/ Wife is happy/ I am grateful. Mine was a 2000 Expedition with about 88,000 miles and one port was 100% plugged and the other about 99%. I haven't had any problems with this vehicle and plan on keeping it forever. I use it to pull a 20 foot boat on a steel trailer. About 6,000 pounds total and then add the weight of the truck. Thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 throttle body / egr passage cleaning ;Pinging 90% eliminated