An end to the pinging

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An end to the pinging

I finally solved the pinging puzzle on my 5.4.

It was a cracked hosed fitting on the fuel regulator. 10 seconds with a soldering iron cured the thing and I finally have a decent running & sounding engine.

It wasn't an abuse crack either it was made that way. Wonder how many others are out there will the same ailment?

tom

Old 10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Re: An end to the pinging

Originally posted by tkarter
It was a cracked hosed fitting on the fuel regulator.
How did you find that???

Old 10-20-2003, 03:18 PM
How can you tell it was made that way?

Old 10-20-2003, 05:28 PM
I just happened to notice it was cracked. I have been working on the truck for over 25000 miles now and was getting ready to check the fuel pressure when I noticed it.

it is cracked in the seam from and there isn't much of a way it could be cracked vertically by any kind of use or misuse.

I know it sure works better with the thing fixed.

tom

Old 10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I expierenced pinging primarilly in the colder temperatures since my truck was close to new. I recently replaced the spark plugs/wires and coil packs and have not expierenced any predetonation a single time since. Perhaps the gap on the spark plugs was my issue from day one.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Pinging or Detonation is usaly caused buy you timing being to advanced, i think i can see how the leak in the Fuel presure regulater might cause this becasue it was proably running lean from not geting full fuel. I hope the solder joint holds, there is lots of presure in EFI fuel lines

Darren

Old 10-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Soon as I soldered that vacuam port split the engine quieted down so much it sounded like I had overhauled it.

I doubt there is any danger of the solder not holding. It does need all the vacuam to make the regulator maintain the proper pressure.

I just know it was a long process to troubleshoot as Ford and everyone else that worked on it along with myself thought it had to be such things as carbon, overheating, dirty fuel or just plain old bad PCM.

On the bright side of things I know have 3 MAF sensors all good. 3 DPFE sensors all good 2 EGR valves both good. Heck I got half a parts store on hand for the next go round. LOL

Sure is nice to drive one that don' t ping all the time.

tom

Quick Reply: An end to the pinging