Good Spark Plugs and Wires?!?! Your Opinions?!?!

Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good Spark Plugs and Wires?!?! Your Opinions?!?!

Hey, I was wondering what some of you guys think are "good" spark plugs and spark plug wires to use?? I don't need top of the line or anything, but I want something better than the $1.00 Autolights I have now. What about those plugs with the "4 prongs" on them that look like some sort of eagle claw or something?!?! Are those just "all looks"?!?!
And as far as "wires" go.....I haven't a clue!!

I've tried looking for some sort of product reviews but I thought I would check with where the "real world knowlege" is........RIGHT HERE!!

I have a '97, 4.2, V6 Automatic!

Thanks a lot!!!
Rich

Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're so called $1.00 Autolites are actuall really really good plugs. Motorcraft are really good plugs too but they are Autolites. IMO, all these tri-tip, exocit metal plugs are a sales gimic and a good regular plug will perform just as good. I run plain old Motorcraft plugs in my Mustang race car as well as a ton of other guys at the track with excellent results. I did a tune up on my '97 (and will do the same on my '02 when the time comes) and used the 'called for' Motorcraft plug and they worked awesome. Just like brand new again.

As for plug wires...You can't go wrong with MSD. Probably among the top three, if not number one, as far as wires go. I personally like the Taylor "409" race wire and the LiveWires from Performance Distributors as well. Both great products that I have seen used on the track and all three are very very good looking wires as well. I like the latter two a little better in the looks department because MSD doesn't offer a blue wire yet and the latter two wires are almost 1/2" in diameter. (409's are 10.4mm and LiveWires are almost 13mm) They will all last you a lifetime too. I wish my truck still had plug wires just so I could get a set. If I were buying today, I think I'd go with the Taylor's and looks being the ONLY deciding factor.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Double Plat Autolites are as good as plugs get.

Wires if they don't throw sparks at night any no name brand is as good as the best.

tom

Old 09-27-2003, 12:00 AM
autolites are made by the same company that makes fram. Autolites are Not the same as motorcraft. As for no name plug wires, they may last a little while, but you get what you pay for in purpose built wires that are designed for your truck and the intended electrical load. Sounds like you are more interested in plugs/wires that are in the low end to middle of the price range. No harm in that at all. But for my money, when it comes to plugs and wires, i only buy motorcraft. Often the ford dealer will give a discount if they know you or you tell them you are doing the work yourself. The funky plug tips (split fire,etc) and tops are just gimmicks. If you cant afford motorcraft double platinum plugs, get autolite double platinum. If you cant afford motorcraft plug wires, i dont have a substitute recommendation . also, check ford motorsports. they might be able to sell you the motorcraft parts at a good price. good luck.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Motorcraft and Autolite are not the same plug!Honeywell inc. owns Allied-Signal which in turn makes Autolite and Motorcraft plugs.But,Motorcraft plugs are made to Ford specifications.How do I know this? I contacted www.autolite.com and they emailed me the above answer! I learned the hard way,by putting Autolite plugs and wires on mine and it stumbled so bad I thought it would shake my teeth out.I went back with Motorcraft AWSF-32Cs gapped @ .052 and with Motorcraft factory wires and it runs smooth as silk.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for setting me straight on the Autolite/Motorcraft thing guys. They just look an aweful lot alike. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions. At least you guys recommended the Motorcraft too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good Spark Plugs and Wires?!?! Your Opinions?!?!