K&N FIPK OK for Off Roading

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N FIPK OK for Off Roading

This summer I added a K&N FIPK to my 2000 4x4 with a 5.4. As winter will soon be here I was wondering if the exposed filter would be subject to getting a lot of water or mud on it, and causing the engine to stall, while driving through deep water, snow or mud? Does anyone have any experience using the FIPK in these conditions?

Old 09-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, unless as you say, you drive through "deep" water. If that's the case, it wouldn't make much difference what air intake was on, you'd probably have some issues with the electrical system first.

Where will you be driving in deep water, snow and mud in Laguna Niguel? I have family that live in Dana Point and I don't recall seeing much snow, deep water when I have visited.

You planning on doing some off-roading?

Old 09-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
K&N sells a foam filter to install over the K&N pleated filter. In theory it helps reduce direct dirt contact with the pleated filter. It will not hurt it to install for extended offroad trip.

Mike

Old 09-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply's,

I found out that K&N makes an Air Filter Wrap that helps keep out dirt and water. For a 4.6 or 5.4 here is the K&N Part Number #RF-1020DK, this will do the trick.

TRAY,
I do a lot of camping and off roading in the San Bernadino Mountains, Mojave desert and Sierra Nevada's all of which have there share of rain, snow, sand and mud. But Laguna Niguel's weather it self, is pretty weak, a little rain that's about it.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK OK for Off Roading