4.6 to 5.4 or New heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:12 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
One last thing. Mark every connector from the 4.6 engine so you can match it up to the 5.4 sensors. The 5.4 will not have an Intake Manifold Tuning Valve. They dropped those on the 5.4 sime time in 99.

JMC

Old 10-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new November issue of Mustand 5.0 has an article where they replace the 4.6 with a 5.4 out of a wrecked E150. The 5.4 Includes dyno testing. I found it informative and learned new thiungs about the 5.4L. For example, the E150 has a lower intake manifold for more clearance.

Pete

Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the updated info. I now have the flywheel and will call Kar Kraft today for a tracking # on the motor. I will make sure to mark the connectors. Good advice.

I think I will pick up a copy of Mustang 5.0 as well as it sounds like that might be helpful.

Thanks JMC and Peter.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM
The 5.4 from Kar Kraft has arrived. I am picking it up from the trucking company this afternoon. I will update the post once I have a chance to take a look at it. Will begin the swap tomorrow night.

Picked up the motor!

It did not come with a wiring harness, but that won't matter as I will switch over to my original coil packs and plugs. Will be contacting Mike Troyer to get a MicroTuner this week and am looking at headers too. Not sure if I want to go with headers or not. Don't think I really need them, but they would be cool.

I will update the post this weekend once I have the new motor ready to go in and let you all know how it goes.

Steve

Last edited by sclime; 10-14-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Just to update where I'm at on this project. The old motor is out as of yesterday. Will begin moving the wiring harness over this week. Looks like there are some differences which I will have to look into.

JMC, You said the 5.4 won't have Intake Manifold Tuning Valve. Do I need to do anything with the connector?

Can anyone tell me where to find an Illustrated Parts Breakout for the 1998 F150 on-line or book?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sclime; 10-20-2003 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:51 AM
JMC

Steve,

That is probably the Intake manifold tuning valve. The 5.4 doesn't use one. Have you tried e-bay for a CD or Hays makes manuals for the trucks. What I usually do when I am working an someone else's vehicle is go to the library and look in the reference section for a manual.

JMC

Old 10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Thanks JMC!

I will check E-bay for a CD. Can also check the local book store for a Hays manual. If all else fails, will check out the library.

Another question....what's the best way to handle the exhaust hook up. I've heard they will be different. I have an Exhaust Pros shop about 10 miles away from me so could tow it there when the new motor is in. Will I need to have a splice welded in?

I also noticed there is a connetor on the back of the 5.4 that doesn't appear to be on the 4.6. Is that something for the other tranny?

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

Old 10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
sclime,

One of the greatest threads on this board! Great info! Hope you all continue to comment in detail. Can hardly wait for the next post! You got the best guys helping you in this thread. Hope you all continue to help sclime with the detailed info. so that,.............I can do my lightning swap!

Old 10-20-2003, 12:17 PM
JMC

steve,

Help me out here. How many wires and what color?

JMC

Old 10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
JMC!
I will check out the connector tonight when I get home. I'll get the color code for you and update this post.

Thanks,
Steve

Duh!!! It is the oil pressure sensor. I will start working on the wiring harness tonight. Will not get another chance to work on it till this weekend. I will update this post and get some pictures taken this weekend.

JMC, I have one other question. My truck had the remote oil filter. There was a connector on that. Since the 5.4 does not have the remote filter, do I just do nothing with the connector?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Steve

Last edited by sclime; 10-21-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:26 PM
....any updates?

Old 10-25-2003, 10:37 PM
You can still use your remote filter. Just unbolt the adapter from your old engine and bolt it to the new one. That will change right over.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Latest update! Got the wiring harness changed over to the new 5.4. Only had to change one connector. The sensor on the top of the block under the intake manifold had a different type of connector. Soldered the connector from the old motor in place. I have the new motor in the truck, but not mated up to the transmission. Ran out of time this weekend. The engine mounts line up correctly so should not be an issue.

Only the right side bracket for the coil packs mount up correctly. There are no bolt holes on the left side. Will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the mount. Also need to pick up two larger bolts for the bracket on the right side of the motor as you face the truck where the power steering resivor connects up. The 5.4 uses a larget bolt.

Will update this later in the week when I have more time to work on it.

Steve

Old 10-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sclime, I have been following this thread closely as I suspect many others have too. I applaud your pioneering spirit and think that you'll do just fine putting it all together.

I'm not trying to whizz on your parade but I'm just curious to know if you plan on doing some kind of tuning when you have it all togethher and running because of the difference in displacement between the two motors. It's almost a cubic inch difference and will probably run a little on the lean side with the 4.6 PCM and tune. Are you going to a tuner and getting a custom chip burned or maybe going up a size on the fuel injectors? What do you plan on doing to compensate for the increased displacement ??

Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Good question. I have been talking to Mike Troyer at Troyer Performance. He has talked to me about a MicroTuner which he can tune to the 5.4 with the PI heads. I left a message for him last Friday, but will probably call again tomorrow. Will order the Tuner this week and by the time I have it ready to run, should be able to re-program.

Check out this link for pictures.

http://sclime.mystarband.net/

Steve

Last edited by sclime; 10-29-2003 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 or New heads?