F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V6 Engines (including Ecoboost) (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-engines-including-ecoboost-71/)
-   -   2018 f150 2.7 check engine light (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-engines-including-ecoboost/519341-2018-f150-2-7-check-engine-light.html)

73K2500 09-24-2018 11:28 AM

2018 f150 2.7 check engine light

I created this account to notify other about my current situation with Ford. I have a 2018 f150 stx 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost. Less than 5k on it and the check engine light came on. Prior to the CEL I noticed the truck acting funny: longer start time and rough idle. At first it started off as barely noticeable but something seemed funny then it progressively got worst. Eventually the CEL came and I got worried so I brought it in to the dealership. The service rep was very friendly and kind but gave me the spiel that the main guy was not in and it was only the apprentice and he was extremely swamp and it would do the service department a huge favor if I could wait a day to bring it in. I explained that I was on my lunch and that I only had a small window to get this looked or I would need a loaner vehicle. We arrange for the next day on my lunch and of course he had no loaner vehicle because apparently they had a lot of vehicles that needed service. I dropped the truck off and got a ride back to work and my wife had to pick me up after work. The next day I get a call and one of the injectors went bad so Ford apparently has upgraded version already on these and have to replace all of them. My mind is blown that a new truck already has a updated version on the injectors. The dealership must know about this issue and will sell you the truck regardless and not let you know about this issue. Eventually I got a loaner car but I am truly frustrated with Ford right now.

glc 09-24-2018 02:54 PM

I wouldn't complain. They are trying to fix it and fix it right. A bad batch of parts happens, it's quite common, Ford doesn't make the injectors. That *IS* what a warranty is for. Warranty doesn't cover loaners unless you buy an extended service plan that covers that, any dealer that even offers a loaner does not have to and it's money out of their pocket. Plans that cover "loaners" will generally just reimburse you for a rental. Sure sounds to me like your dealer is doing everything they reasonably can to make things right.

The dealership must know about this issue and will sell you the truck regardless and not let you know about this issue.
That's quite a stretch, they have no way of knowing until problems start showing up. I'm betting that this is the first instance of this happening at this particular dealer and the service department was unaware of it till they started looking through service bulletins. Sales department sure doesn't look through service bulletins.

Do you honestly expect the dealer to replace the injectors on every 2.7 they have in stock? Not happening. No dealer of any make is going to do that.

73K2500 09-25-2018 10:08 AM

If the dealership isn't aware of the issue I am sure Ford is. I am concerned that they already have a updated version on a already brand new part. To me that doesn't seem right. They found a faulty injector but the TSB calls to replace all of the them because there is a updated version. My take on this is because the truck has so much new technology what else will go wrong on this? I plan on keeping this truck but now I feel like i have no confidence in the vehicle. Once the warranty is up I will not have the funds to keep sinking money into this truck and that is where I am afraid I am headed.

glc 09-25-2018 10:29 AM

It's not too late to buy an extended warranty - a Ford ESP would be the best bet, and you can shop around for the best price online.

By the way, it's not a "brand new" part - the 2.7 has been around since 2015.

ManualF150 09-25-2018 12:28 PM

I recommend Lombard Ford for warranties.

1depd 10-14-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5241752)
It's not too late to buy an extended warranty - a Ford ESP would be the best bet, and you can shop around for the best price online.

By the way, it's not a "brand new" part - the 2.7 has been around since 2015.

I have a 2015. I've had two scary instances with it. One there was a communications error which resulted in the engine shutting down while trying to merge onto a limited access road (not really a freeway, but not a regular road either). I took it to the dealership and was told the code thrown was communication error, but there was nothing stating what wasn't communicating. The second was a few days later it was like the engine was confused or had bad gas or something. No code was thrown so it didn't go to the dealership. Considering the truck sat on the dealer's lot for almost a year before I bought it and it has almost 60k on the odometer, those two instances are concerning, but not enough to get rid of the truck. I will be buying the smaller Ranger when it comes out, only because I live and work in a. large city and this monster is too big to go a lot of places.

73K2500 10-16-2018 04:49 PM

Well Truck is back in the shop again! Now the Catalytic Converter failed. Seriously am frustrated. Brand new truck, less than 5500 miles on it and now it needs catalytic converter after a full set of fuel injectors. Maybe I'm special but I do not recommend 2.7 ecoboost in case anyone is shopping.

ManualF150 10-16-2018 04:54 PM

It's not Ford's fault they got junk injectors. It happens.

Those injectors aren't made by Ford. They are probably made by Bosch or some other huge conglomerate company.

Labnerd 10-16-2018 05:17 PM

After having injector issues, I would expect the cats to be bad on any modern engine. I'm surprised the dealer didn't check them out while they had it. But then, if there's no CEL Ford isn't going to allow the fix. Don't be discouraged yet. What you are experiencing with the cats is a routine repair after injector issues. I would not expect you to have any other issues from the engine.