2014 Wastegate ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Wastegate ?

I've been fighting a problem for the past 1 1/2 years on my 2014 Limited Twin Turbo. I've been to numerous dealerships for repair to a noise coming from engine compartment right in front of the driver side. It's a breif rattle at 2000rpm during moderate acceleration. So far, the 3 dealerships have done the following to my truck with no luck:

2 New turbos
New Wastsegate
Complete Exhaust
Rear end rebuild
Transmission replacement
Installed new Raptor transmission mount

The problem is still there. I was told this so called rattle/vibration sound was normal and that it was the wastegate letting out air. Keep in mind, I am not flooring the gas when this happens. Just a mild acceleration.

This may be a dumb question, since I don't know much about turbos, so don't laugh, but since there are 2 turbos (left side & right side), wouldn't there be 2 wastegates? Cause if there are, wouldn't the passenger side wastegate make this same noise if it were a normal sound?

Any suggestions?????

Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The wastegate is built on to the side of the turbo and is used to control the amount of exhaust gas that flows through the turbine. If the turbo was replaced as an assembly then the wastegate was too. I suspect they changed the blow off valve but called it a wastegate. On your truck there is one that is mounted on the intercooler. It is used when you let off the throttle to release pressure that is built up inside the charge pipes. If this wasn't done the pressure would cause the turbine to stall and that is a rough on the turbo. It is perfectly normal to hear some popping/whooshing from this.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wookie, but it doesn't sound like any air swooshing. More of a rattle/vibration. I really notice it when letting off the gas to make a turn and then getting on the gas slightly to accelerate. As soon as the truck reaches 2000rpms, it does it. If I'm on the highway going about 60 and punch it, there is no swooshing/rattle/vibration sound at all. Only at slower speeds.

Quick Reply: 2014 Wastegate ?