Coolant Leak

Old 10-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak

I have a question. I have a 2014 f150 supercrew 3.5 ecoboost with 70k miles. Recently I have had to add coolant regularly. I looked and thought it was coming from the thermostat. Now after further inspection I saw some fluid on the top center of the engine. Could that be due to a head gasket? No milky oil, no antifreeze smell exhaust or white smoke. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That doesn't sound like a head gasket if it's in the very center on top of the intake manifold. I suspect that it's actually spraying from somewhere to get there. Look at your heater hoses where they go into the firewall. I can't remember if there's another hose that runs across the top of the engine but check around for one coming from the expansion tank.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks, I will do a little more in depth inspection.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM
After a more in depth inspection, the fluid on top was not the coolant. Found out it is leaking from my drivers side turbo. I am planning on fixing it myself. I think it is only one of the connections. Would it be better to just remove it and replace all gasket? Glad it is not the head gasket.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by EChandler
After a more in depth inspection, the fluid on top was not the coolant. Found out it is leaking from my drivers side turbo. I am planning on fixing it myself. I think it is only one of the connections. Would it be better to just remove it and replace all gasket? Glad it is not the head gasket.
I'd check how the coolant lines on the turbo seal. I'm not sure if they use o-rings, crush washers or are flare fittings. Depending on what is will change what needs to be done to correct the leak. But, that shouldn't be a hard thing to fix.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Are the only 2 coolant lines running into the turbo? I can tell the feed and return lines, I know the 2 metal lines on the bottom are oil, but there are 2 small black lines running into it. Are the black lines coolant?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM
There's a rubber hose going to the wastegate and another one going to the diverter valve on the 2011-2012 trucks. Is this what you're looking at?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Actually not sure. It is the tube above the oil line shown here. Black line is coolant right?

Search this Thread