3.7l. Any reason to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.7l. Any reason to avoid?

I'm considering purchasing a late model f150. Any reason to avoid the 3.7l? Or is it proving to be a solid motor? I'm moving up from a 1999 f150 with the 4.2l. It has been very reliable over the last 18 years but it's time for something newer. I feel like the 300 hp offered by the 3.7l would be a nice upgrade. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about it. Read this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...e-got-one.html

Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen anything bad out of this engine. I'd look for a truck with a higher rear gearset to help it rev up. Understand that if you want 300 Hp from it you will need to use all of the numbers on the tach. That's not a bad thing because the Duratech engine was designed to be able to rev.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 3.7 is a bored out 3.5 EcoBoost without the turbos. I doubt you can hurt one. I have one in a Supercrew 2014. It's an able engine but lacks low end grunt. Once you've got the rpms up it screams and is impressive for what it is. Unlike the 5.4 V8, the 3.7 has all 300 ponies under the hood. From a roll, a 5.4 stock won't stay with my truck. Fuel mileage. I went to N Carolina from Texas in March. Total of 3000 miles. VERY comfy ride. Gas mileage for the trip was 22.8 running mostly 75 and about 20% of it 80+. The truck was loaded to the max going, empty coming home. I have the 20" factory wheels on it and the 3.73 rear axle which is standard on a Supercrew. The standard or extended cab, the 3.55 axle is standard. I like mine but it has limitations if you are towing anything. It's not a tow rig even with the 3.73 axle. The engine just doesn't have the low end grunt for towing. Only thing I would STRONGLY suggest if buying this body style truck, more than likely it has no rear sway bar. Put a Hellwig on at first chance. It made a huge difference in how mine handles. You need it for safety reasons, if you ever need to make an emergency maneuver, the truck with the bar will make it happen. Without it, it's likely not to make the it. Upside to the engine, you won't find many issues with it on the internet. Downside to the engine- the intake manifold system has to come off to change the spark plugs. Factory recommendation is every 100,000 miles. I'd suggest a 70.000 mile change but it's your truck. The engine is a dandy if you want a pickup with decent power. If you're looking for a tow rig, this is the wrong engine. Redline on this thing is an insane 7000 rpms and it pulls strong all the way to 7 grand. If you need a truck but don't expect much work out of it, the 3.7 is a dandy, long life power plant.