P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. Remove intake? '05 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. Remove intake? '05 4.2

I'll start with the question.
After I removed my entire intake manifold to get access to the fuel rail pressure sensor, I figured "if I would have known exactly where that sensor is, there would have been some wrestling, but I had enough room to replace the sensor without removing the intake." Is this correct?
It's way in the back, under the intake, to the right of center.

Now the long story you don't need to read.
My truck is king of the short trip. It's always running cold. The starter gets a lot of work. Six miles to work, then every day it makes ten to twenty trips of a quarter mile, back and forth between two locations, and six miles back home. That's ninety percent of the miles it gets. Just passed 70,000 on an '05. 4.2L.
About a year ago, I noticed that if I stopped for less than five minutes, it would take several tries to re-start. I figured something wasn't perfect, but found a workaround. If i revved the engine before shutting it off, it would usually start easy for the return trip... Well... OK.
Last week, I noticed if I stomped on the gas, there would be a long delay (3-5 seconds) before the engine revved. I also noticed that after i released the gas pedal there was sometimes a rattling sound of (don't know what to call it) i guess dieseling. It seemed to idle smooth, and it's throwing no codes, so now I'm thinking "oh man, i have to diagnose my fuel system, hope it's not the pump"
But since I'm on call every other weekend, it had to wait a week.

Now this week I got lucky when my starter died.
Tuesday I heard a shriek, and immediately thought. "I doubt that starter is gonna make it to the weekend." and sure enough Wednesday it froze up. I replaced it immediately, but while it was frozen, IT THREW A CODE!!! "P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor voltage out of range". Figured I may as well trust the computer, and today replaced the sensor, and now everything is smooth as glass. (Surprised that NAPA was cheaper than all 3 of my other local choices)

Back to my question: Did I absolutely need to remove the intake and all it's hoses to replace the sensor?