2014 v6 eco boost shutter

Old 04-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 v6 eco boost shutter

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and a new owner of a 2014 F-150 Lariat with the V6 EcoBoost with 60,3xx miles on it. I have a few problems I'm hoping you more experienced guys can help e out on.

The first problem I had was the check engine light coming on. Autozone hooked up their scanner to it and the code was for a canister purge valve. I later cleared the code/light with my dad's scanner and it hasn't been on since which is probably around 1,500 miles ago.

However, that same night I went to stomp on the gas to get up to speed on the interstate and the dang truck started stuttering and cutting out with the check engine light blinking. It would not respond to any throttle you would try to give it. I would just coast down the road for about a mile and then the light would go off and everything would be normal. That is until you would try to get it to get up and go again. I got it to do this with no problem 3 maybe 4 times back to back.

It happens now and then at random times since then as well when you try to get up and go.
This problem sucks and any help would be appreciated. This is my first real nice Ford truck and out of the gate, I have problems.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Change the spark plugs, repeat every 40k miles.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like water in the intercooler. It was a lot more common on the early trucks but all of them can do it. The easiest/cheapest/best solution is to drill a small hole in your intercooler for the water to drain from. Look online​ for the details. This will cure the issue. Also, go ahead and change the plugs. It won't hurt and they're probably due.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 AM
I would also suggest Plugs. Super easy to change out. See what happens after that.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Go ahead and change the plugs as it probably needs it but that's not going to solve this issue. The plugs would have to be extremely worn out to cause what you described.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 PM
I changed the plugs this past Saturday and that seems to have cured my problem as of now. I can burn her *** down now! lmao. The old plugs were gapped/worn to 0.0048" and I gapped the new ones to 0.0028-0.0030" Thanks for all the help. I have read on here about the condensation in the intercooler. Wonder if I should do that next as PM?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by justincody91
I changed the plugs this past Saturday and that seems to have cured my problem as of now. I can burn her *** down now! lmao. The old plugs were gapped/worn to 0.0048" and I gapped the new ones to 0.0028-0.0030" Thanks for all the help. I have read on here about the condensation in the intercooler. Wonder if I should do that next as PM?
I would recommend it 100%. The problem you described is textbook water ingestion. You probably pulled most of it out when you had the issue. Once it's out the truck will run perfectly. Badly worn plugs can cause severe misfires but while yours were worn they weren't to that point yet unless several also had cracked insulators etc.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I'm still new to this truck. Can you give me some direction as to where on the intercooler/ how you drill the hole? It would be much appreciated!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 AM
On the driver's side at the outlet is the lowest point on the intercooler, put a small (0.050") hole in that section and make sure your face is not under it when you punch through. If there's much water in it a nasty mix of oil and water will come out. I'm sure YouTube etc has a ton of info about it. After doing this I've only had mine act up once and that was on a chilly extremely humid day after I pulled all of the diverters off and had been driving for 3+ hours in those conditions without ever getting into boost at all. That was the perfect storm and even then it only acted up for a few seconds before it cleared out.

Search this Thread