2000 f150 4.2 V6 engine runs better after heads replaced but when it warms up it lose

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f150 4.2 V6 engine runs better after heads replaced but when it warms up it lose

Hello I'm new here. I have good Friend of mine he has driven this 2000 f150 4.2 litter to the ground right before this happen I told him his truck was running like **** and it needs to park it and get it fixed. His response I can't **** it down yet. It was running like so bad it shaking incluing tapping under the hood. I understand how it even still running. So anyways one day he couldn't go up the hill with this vehicle because lack of power. So he couldn't go up the hill so he brought it the shop they said he needs his heads done. The engine shop Mechinic said heads alot of burnt valves after I took the head off and my friend brought it to engine shop. So he brought it to me to install the new cylinder heads.. Which he wanted me to do the job for new set of tools to do it. Which I thought is was ok. Because I didn't even have a screwdriver. He took the heads to a engine shop to get them redone. Which we waited for a week. But while I was realised there was a broken push rod in the passger side and all 12 the roller lifters where in bad shape also they didn't even budge when I try to push on the lifters in the middle to see if there where good and.. a good spring action the a good lifters.. well the entire engine is put together now. I installed new head gasket kit new head bolts 12 lifters and push rods new plugs wires set and new plugs. Alot better than it did before but... 2000 f150 4.2 V6 engine runs better after heads replaced but when it warms up it lose power. No shaking . But misfire untill the truck is warms up. I checked the compression since the Mechinic at the first shop said it was missing 3 cylinders and had no compression. So here is the numbers cylinder 1 through 6 compression test dry.. cylinder 1 170 PSI cylinder 2 165 PSI cylinder 3 170 cylinder 4 165 PSI cylinder 5 165 PSI cylinder 6 170 PSi. And did everything by the book including torch specs and bolt sequence. So now my good friend is mad at it me or the Mechinic I don't really know since he put at least 1500$ into. I hope he not mad at me because I believe everything it ok far my work but it doesn't seems to matter to him. I never told him To head needed heads replaced. I would totally told him to change the motor or by a new truck which he did anyways. I really need some help and advice about this vehicle since there a time of my time and his money.. I really hate to be stuck in the middle of this mess. I would appreciate if you have any information. I still have some luck of tools I'm just starting over in life. I did 19 months in automotive technician class from Louisiana Tech I'm still fresh

Last edited by Elijah Reeves; 04-18-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I suck at typing
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Those are good compression numbers. Compression is NOT the problem.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:13 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you didn't use Motorcraft plugs and wires, that would be one suspect. I would also check the cats and the rest of the exhaust system for blockage. It could have dirty fuel injectors. It could be almost anything if it was that neglected and driven into the ground.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Yes thanks letting me I been reading alot online it seems like alot different things that it 165 or 160 to low of compression for this vehicle . Just wanted to make sure that isnt bad compression. It does have 230,000 miles on it. Used boush park plugs plataint

Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 AM
Yes I haven't used motor craft for as the plugs wires set and new plugs. Bought Auto zone stuff duralast wire set and boush plantain plug i dought this how my spelling it up to par.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Yes thanks letting me I been reading alot online it seems like alot different things that it 165 or 160 to low of compression for this vehicle . Just wanted to make sure that isnt bad compression. It does have 230,000 miles on it. Used boush park plugs plataint

Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 AM
Oh more thing I did burn really rich and and when I took the intake off there alot of Carbon built-up and after I I installed the new plugs and took them out to do the compression test they where dirty like Carbon built-up I'm like wtf I only maybe driven this vehicle 1 mile and already have Carbon built-up on the plugs.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Take it to an exhaust shop and get the catalytic converters checked for back pressure. It is likely that they are clogged due to running it so much while the engine was missing.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM
glc
Concur, I bet your cats are plugged!

Get those Bosch plugs out of there, Ford engines HATE them. Duralast wires are also junk. Use MOTORCRAFT.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mot...park+plug,7212

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mot...+wire+set,7224

Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Ok I will ask him to by motor craft OEM equipment

Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Take it to an exhaust shop and get the catalytic converters checked for back pressure. It is likely that they are clogged due to running it so much while the engine was missing.
Yes I kinda figured it was something like that plus EGR valve. I don't think it was ever changed since the truck was manufactured. There also some vacuum hoses were broken but I plugged them up the best I could. Do also think maybe it also massflow sencor aswell I think he never changed that either or maybe it just dirty.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
glc
Broken vacuum hoses need to be replaced, not just plugged up.