2000 Ford f150 V6 4.2 Over heats going uphill pulling small trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford f150 V6 4.2 Over heats going uphill pulling small trailer

I've had my 2000 Ford f150 V6 4.2 automatic for a while now and the temperature has always held study regardless If I was going uphills or not.

I had just bought a small 5x10 single axle trailer that weights about a 1,000 pounds.
While driving it home empty with the O/D off you couldn't tell you where pulling something it towed so nice until you hit a very long and steep hill.

The truck didn't have much power, the temperature warning light came on and the temperature gauge shot up as high as it could go.
After a minute or 2 coming down the hill looking for a place to pull over the light went off and the temperature needle dropped abruptly back the normal.
I hit a second hill just as steep but not nearly as long this time with the O/D on and the same thing the needle jumped as high as it could go and 2 minutes leveling off it abruptly dropped to normal.

If anyone has any idea what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it.
Dave Ericson

Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Do you know if the cooling system has had the required coolant changes on schedule? If not, corrosion deposits could build up. Using tap water in a cooling system could cause mineral deposits to build up in the system. I always use distilled water. The water pump could have lost some of its pumping power due to erosion of the impeller. I'd probably do a system flush and install a new water pump. I'd also install a trans cooler if it didn't come with one. If it is tubed up in series with the radiator, it will help cool the engine as well as the trans.

I don't know if it would fit but I bought a new 2000 F150Scab5.4 4x4 with towing package. Evidently, Ford advertised that the towing package included increased cooling capability. It didn't and enough owners complained that they offered owners the options of $100 cash back, $500 trade-in credit on a new truck, or a 7700lbs radiator. The truck was rated to tow 6500lbs. I chose the free installation of the larger radiator. Sooo, I don't know if they fit but a larger radiator may do the trick.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I would not tow with the O/D on.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 99 with the exact same problem, pulling small trailer going up hill
new radiator fixed it right up
just flushing the system didn't help at all, the new radiator was $100 off ebay

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford f150 V6 4.2 Over heats going uphill pulling small trailer