First Ford - did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Ford - did I make a mistake?

So I've purchased my first Ford. 2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Platinum 3.6 EB. I love the truck but hate the engine. Doesn't feel like I have enough power to outrun a fire truck. I previously had a Tundra 5.7L that would throw you back when on the pedal. Can you guys please tell me some things I can do to improve the lag? Would dual exhaust sound silly on the 3.5? Again this is my first Ford so basically just looking for advice or suggestions. Thanks

Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Dual exhaust does nothing for power. Look at getting a tuner. Single best power producer you can get.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you turning off the traction control before launching from a stop? Or is this while you are already at speed?

Not sure, but my Eco pushes me back in the seat and hauls effing *** either way... And it's stone bone stock.. Tows my #5000 like it's not even there.. Well, at least compared to my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it..

I have found that it launches much better if you just 'roll' into the throttle from a complete stop instead of just mashing it to the floor the instant you want to go. I also find it does better rolling into it while running at speed too.. If I just mash it, it does have a lag to it..

Don't know if a tune fixes this or not, but I don't have one, and don't want one right now anyway, so my rolling into the throttle works for me..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Dual exhaust does nothing for power. Look at getting a tuner. Single best power producer you can get.
Sorry I should've clarified. I was asking about dual exhaust only because of the little V6. Would it sound terrible or not? Love the looks of dual exhaust but don't want it to sound wimpy.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You must have gotten the base 3.5L engine confused with the Ecoboost.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
You must have gotten the base 3.5L engine confused with the Ecoboost.

F150 Ecoboost vs ram 1500 vs tundra - YouTube
Well then maybe mine is just a lemon. I wish I'd gone with the 5.0

Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I suspect you may not have an EB too. My 2014 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EB is way above the power I had in my 2005 KR with the 5.4L engine. Or, is it possible you have the 2.7L engine?

I've found it works best applying the throttle the way Mitch described. If you mash the pedal, it forces it to downshift and that takes time to complete. Just pushing the throttle in a bit aggressively but smoothly causes the boost to come on and the gearing stays higher - there's no delay and the truck smoothly accelerates with very nice acceleration.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 05-22-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Are you turning off the traction control before launching from a stop? Or is this while you are already at speed?

Not sure, but my Eco pushes me back in the seat and hauls effing *** either way... And it's stone bone stock.. Tows my #5000 like it's not even there.. Well, at least compared to my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it..

I have found that it launches much better if you just 'roll' into the throttle from a complete stop instead of just mashing it to the floor the instant you want to go. I also find it does better rolling into it while running at speed too.. If I just mash it, it does have a lag to it..

Don't know if a tune fixes this or not, but I don't have one, and don't want one right now anyway, so my rolling into the throttle works for me..

Good luck!

Mitch
Thanks for the reply Mitch. It does have some get up if I have it in sport mode but otherwise it feels like it just doesn't have enough to move the truck. I love everything else about it though. I don't really need all that power anyway just like to have it when you want it. Guess I'll just keep it in sport mode. I do like the gas mileage though. Just hit 10k miles and getting 18mpg.
You think it would sound good with custom exhaust or does it need a 5.0 to give it some rumble?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I suspect you may not have an EB too. My 2014 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EB is way above the power I had in my 2005 KR with the 5.4L engine. Or, is it possible you have the 2.7L engine?

I've found it works best applying the throttle the way Mitch described. If you mash the pedal, it forces it to downshift and that takes time to complete. Just pushing the throttle in a bit aggressively but smoothly causes the boost to come on and the gearing stays higher - there's no delay and the truck smoothly accelerates with very nice acceleration.

- Jack
Positive I have the 3.5 unless they put the wrong motor in it. The badges I removed were 3.5. Like i said it does have some power if I use sport mode. Maybe I am just expecting more than I should be. I don't have experience with Ford to compare this one to so it's possible that isn't helping either. But you guys are definitely making me feel better about my choice. I love the extended tank and 18mpg though!!
So all you guys with the 3.5L, have any of you modified the exhaust? Does it sound good? I'm also thinking about adding a cold air intake. Anyone here done that? Any specific brand you would recommend?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The base non-turbo engine is a 3.5L as well as the Ecoboost dual turbo 3.5L. Very easy to tell the difference.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
The base non-turbo engine is a 3.5L as well as the Ecoboost dual turbo 3.5L. Very easy to tell the difference.
Yes. i never questioned the type of engine I have, someone else on here thought I may have the 2.7 instead of the 3.5 Eco boost since I wasn't happy with the power it had. It's definitely the 3.5l eco boost. I was only questioning its power vs. the 5.0. I guess I was just wanting to hear others thoughts on the 3.5l twin turbo. It makes me feel better to hear others are very pleased with theirs. Maybe I was just expecting more based off my experience with the tundra 5.7L. I chose the Eco boost for fuel economy and have been very happy with that so I guess the only question remaining is will a dual exhaust sound good on the 3.5 Twin Turbo? Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand and model of exhaust?? Thanks for everyone's help and responses

Old 05-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will try to answer your question since it seems things got sidetracked by what engine you may or may not have. I've only in person heard / seen two EB's with dual exhaust, both were not bad in the sound department. Not the deep rumble you might expect with a V-8 but not ricey either. One was a Borla cat-back I think and the other was a Magnaflow, if you stay away from cheap thrown together muffler shop systems you will be fine, but like they said above, little or no power gains.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
I will try to answer your question since it seems things got sidetracked by what engine you may or may not have. I've only in person heard / seen two EB's with dual exhaust, both were not bad in the sound department. Not the deep rumble you might expect with a V-8 but not ricey either. One was a Borla cat-back I think and the other was a Magnaflow, if you stay away from cheap thrown together muffler shop systems you will be fine, but like they said above, little or no power gains.
Thanks so much Dog'em! Not looking for power boost necessarily just love the rumble of dual exhaust for looks and sound and then maybe cold air intake for horsepower boost.
You think a 4" lift would be too much for the 3.5L?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The kid that works with my son has a four inch on his 2015 with 35" Coopers and looks great, says it is a little noticeable in town and his gas mileage has dropped a couple which is common especially with mud tires.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by vblack
So I've purchased my first Ford. 2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Platinum 3.6 EB. I love the truck but hate the engine. Doesn't feel like I have enough power to outrun a fire truck. I previously had a Tundra 5.7L that would throw you back when on the pedal. Can you guys please tell me some things I can do to improve the lag?
The OP is either a troll or mistaken on his engine selection... which wouldn't be a big surprise since he said its a "3.6 EB"
The 3.5L ECOBOOST has more torque than the 5.0L V8.
And it has more torque than the 5.7L toyota.

Torque is what puts you back in your seat when you floor it.

The other option is the rear end... what gearing do you have on that truck?

You have a SCREW Platinum so you know its going to be heavy. What size truck was your toyota?

Ford Specs

Toyota info

Quick Reply: First Ford - did I make a mistake?